Help solve a mystery!

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
If I scan the wedding photo with the church picture so we have digital copy, does anyone have software that can colorize the b&w? Maybe we can at least identify if it’s stone or brick at that point.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Maybe. I stared at this one for awhile myself. The windows are very similar, its stone, and the buttresses between the windows seem spot on. No evidence of a low wall, but nowadays that’s a tripping hazard and has probably been replaced with a handicap ramp. I wonder if we can find any older pics of this church? St Mary’s Catholic Church in Evanston Illinois
C44381F3-77AA-41F2-8B6E-C40B9CAF5A2E.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Looking the obituary, James R. Conley was himself married 31 May 1952
Wow. Interesting. I actually wondered briefly if it was a picture of his own wife. Perhaps you’re on to something! I wonder if we can find out where he was married at. Maybe we’ll find out match for both the location and the mystery woman in one fowl swoop!

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Ok, here’s a scanned image of the photo. I’m off for a few hours, check in later!
3CB5491E-98A4-4633-AE62-47042CB9EA26.jpeg

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Cook county is Chicago, so we’ve got a big metro area to deal with unfortunately. However I do believe that rules out the first church that was 2-2.5hrs away. If this was a photo of his own wife, it’s unfortunate that she passed so young. The family records page that was uncovered also doesn’t note that they had any children. Edit- their only child died in 1999. The mystery continues.

Last edited:

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Look at the style of dress etc.
I'm not offering any other than this may better place it in dating.

I've fiddled with old photos to eke out more detail in key areas, obviously, probably destroying other areas. But such is the beauty of digital stuff.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Whelp, we have pictures of his wife Rosemary - https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/1093/?name=Rosemary+Margaret_Loomis&keyword=Evanston

The top two are her. Unfortunately I can’t see the large picture. However, from what I can see, I don’t believe their is a resemblance between her and our mystery bride, but I could be wrong.
I really, strongly believe it's her ; same nose, same smile : (enlarged using some URL trickery)
0bf1a73c-bb04-488d-a237-1905a737c303.jpg

Sadly if they had no heir left when they died, the estate was probably sold and that's how the book surfaced in a thrift shop with the picture unclaimed.

M.

Last edited:

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Looks like Rosemary. That is definitely him

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 01.42.29.png

His family home shows up on the 1940 census as Ward 7, Evanston, Evanston Township, Cook. Isn't that church in Evanston.

Latest threads

Top Bottom