Help. Size of image for gallery

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SimplyEd, Feb 21, 2010.

1. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Hi guys. Been editing my photos lately using lightroom and photoshop and I want to upload my photos in the gallery section.

Im using CS4. What would be your best advice for exporting photos from psd to jpeg for web viewing (web portfolio) purposes? I consider myself a CS4-noob since I use to edit my photos using picasa or lightroom (noob moves)... please share your export workflow guys. thanks...:eek:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hi Simply Ed,

I save my converted Raw files as Tiffs then use a free programme called Irfanview to convert to JPEG at 1024x768 pixels and 100%, they then upload to the gallery with minimum quality loss.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Hi SimplyEd, you've covered quite a few things here with this post. Let's start out with posting photos to the gallery. Check out the Housekeeping forum https://www.mu-43.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77 and read the stickies that explain all about how the gallery is used, how to upload, etc., as well as the most effective ways to post to the forums, and more.

As for workflow quesitons... I'll let someone else address that aspect but there is a thread or two you might want to check out while you're waiting. Here's one on one person's workflow and optimizing their images thread: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=1034 and here is one specifically about resizing images: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?p=9501#post9501 So there's a start.:flowers_2:

4. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Thanks. Will try this.

Thanks BBW.... will read the threads...

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Glad to be of some help.:smile:

6. flyby

flyby Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    SimplyEd

While by far not the most experienced uploader here, I find it rather easy to do. I use Lightroom and from Lightroom I go to File/Export. Fill in the boxes..rename my file and put it in a folder on my desktop for e-mail. In File Settings: JPEG Quality 72 Colorspace sRGB Image Sizing: Resize to fit Dimensions 1000x1000 pixels Resolution 72
    Output Sharpening: Sharpen for Screen Amount: Standard
    After these selections there are selections for watermark and some others..fill in what you'd like and then hit the export button. Your resized pic is now in your folder on the desktop in a file size ready for uploading from to the MU-43 gallery.

From Upload picture on the MU-43 simply go to your desktop open the folder and select the pic you want to upload. That's it. Works like a charm.And pics are the right size.

• Like Like x 4
  7. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Thanks flyby. Will try this as well.... and will compare each workflow.. and see what will i get. :) Cheers!

8. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Ok. Temporarily, I will use Flyby's method (its more pleasing to my eyes). however, I set my "sharpen for" to high with 80dpi. Yep, the file size is quite high - 470kb. Will search for other method. I tried Ian's method. I like it alot however I gain more control with the lightroom. I'll still experiment with infran view.... such a nice freeware... thanks guys...

By the way.. here's my first photo post (open for C&C):
    Note: My monitor is not calibrated. Still saving for spyder pro.. Please tell me if its over shapen due to my export settings:

[​IMG]

man. how will I resize this... hmm.. still quite big..

• Like Like x 4
  9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    That looks fine to me Ed, nicely sharpened and scaled.

Cheers

Brian

10. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    Thanks brian. I guess my monitor still gives the right color.

11. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Well, you can't beat a colour calibrated display - but it's certainly a pleasantly warm image.

Cheers

Brian