Help - silver trim on PL25 peeling

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fin azvandi, Dec 16, 2012.

1. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I've managed to cause the silver trim near the end of my PL25mm barrel to start peeling on the bottom near where the lens rests on the table when mounted on the camera body. :frown: I think it's purely decorative but felt I should post here before attempting to glue it down in case I'm about to damage the lens. I'm thinking of brushing on a touch of superglue with the tip of a toothpick...any better ideas?

Macro image of the trim:
    20121216-43_zps8c0eecf8.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I think you might be able to do it with a toothpick & super glue...

3. las Palm as

las Palm as Mu-43 Regular

I have exactly the same issue , I'm thinking on superglue an cut a few millimeters.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I checked out mine, looks fine, and it does appear that it is purely decorative. Maybe to tie it in better with a silver body?

I think the toothpick/super glue idea sounds like a good option, if you want to try to fix it. If mine does it eventually, I am going to be tempted to just pull it all the way off.

5. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Be mindful that krazy glue is runny. I would use a more viscous and weaker glue for this job

6. bpdougd

bpdougd Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2012
    I agree. Some variety of epoxy would seem a better choice. This would require either holding it in place while the epoxy sets or find a way to hold it down (big rubber band?)

(Edit: JB Weld has always worked well for me.).

7. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    the trim tape looks thick enough for some "unrolling/reversal" action using the toothpick, to make it roll inwards and give the glue/epoxy a better chance of sticking properly. just use a thick rubberband and a small piece of paper or tissue to lock the trim tape in place while you wait.

and yeah, superglues and their fumes are usually not paint friendly, I would look for another solution unless you have careful and steady hands.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    They make a gel version of super glue that doesn't run as much.