1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help required finding finding a 1:1 Macro lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by DrLazer, Mar 23, 2011.

1. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    Hi all,

This is my first post. I'm a software engineer from Sheffield UK, I am mainly interested in Macro. Please have a blast through my Flickr, feel free to add me as a friend, I spend a lot of time on that site ... bit addicted really.
    Flickr: Craig.Taylor's Photostream

I am trying to find a Macro lens for use on my G10, I have quite specific requirements like some kind of awkward jackass. I am my own worst enemy sometimes.

I want a dedicated Macro lens, not a zoom macro or a tele lens with a macro switch. I intend to use diopters to increase magnification so auto focus is not required. This pretty much throws AF out the window as those lenses tend to be more expensive. The lens must have a filter thread so I can add diopters / filters. The lens will need to have fixed aperture, or manual aperture control, as I will need to attach it to an adapter to get it to fit on m4/3. Ideally something above 80mm, although if there was a beauty that was 55mm I would consider it. The magnification the lens offers without extension tubes or adapters should be at least 1:1. The easiest mount for me would be M43 as I already own an adapter, but if a lens was on offer for cheap that required an additional adapter that would be cool.

If you know of any lens that is cheap and offers good image quality, please let me know. If you have one you want to sell to me that would just be perfection.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

2. Nikon, Canon, and Vivitar/Kiron/Komine all made excellent 1:1 macro lenses in the 50-55mm and 90-105mm ranges. All manual focus and manual aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    awesome.
    have any links? any reviews or firther info?

I have ebayed this to death. Not found anything suitable for under £220. Ideally looking to spend around £100

4. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Some 100mm macro lenses only go to 1:2, but some also come with an extension that boost magnification to 1:1. I'm on the lookout for a Nikkor 105, but I haven't decided which one.

5. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
  6. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    Nikkor 105mm is a very fine choice! I had my eye on one on ebay a while back, but I only had a bridge camera back then.

This shot was taken with a Nikkor 105mm and a Raynox diopter clipped on. The photographers name is johnhallmen if you want to check him out on flickr.

***Image removed***

------------------------------------

Edited by Amin: Image removed since permission for use was not specified. Please see our site terms of service.

7. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    Thanks for the links stephen.
    I intend to use this lens in the field on living insects, so I think 55mm is a little too close. I'll scare things away. I know I said I would consider an amazing one, but I am starting to lean towards 90mm or more.

8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    what body do you uses, if oly another option is the 4/3 sigma 105 or 50. They will all AF and give you full control. And will accept diopter lenses. And they should have enough aperture range to control the shallow dof that the conversion lens adds.

The only other option is legacy lenses.

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Tamron 90mm macro with adaptall mount would be my choice. Cheap and brilliant.

Gordon

12. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Enlarger lens with extension tubes. Incredible IQ in a small, inexpensive package.

13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You should look for the native PL45 used in hour area, it will be out of your budget, but not by much.

14. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I recently purchased a Tamron SP90 macro from KEH.com. This lens needs an extension tube to get to 1:1 but the effective focal length gives a lot of stand-off. P3231966.

This is the lens on a G1 with a homemade flash bracket and a Nissin D1466 flash.

15. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Keep an eye out for the manual version of one of these: Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report

I have seen them under various names (Promaster, Vivitar, Phoenix) and the manual version is more solid feeling than the AF version. My wife had the AF Pentax version that she used for flowers and craft projects. Sold it about 6 years ago to a friend and he was happy with it also. Even the manual version is not heavy and should balance well on a M43.

16. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Canon FD 200mm f/4 Macro... With this lens you will NEVER be too close to your insects.

17. DrLazer

DrLazer Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    @drd1135: Looks like a lovely lens, out of my price range though. Cheapest I can see that on ebay is £300

@shortutrtle: I have a Lumix G10 atm. I fully expected to adapting Legacy lenses for this. The sigma 105 seems to be an AF lens, I should imagine the motorized elements push its price up, looking at like £250 for that one.

@flash: Defo got me interested in that one. This is the cheapest I found it though, and people are asking for quite a bit for the extension tube .... and then I will need an adapater too. hmmmm, still a possibilitiy. TAMRON Adaptall 2 SP 90mm 2.5 Macro (52B) on eBay (end time 08-Apr-11 15:01:47 BST)

@photosmart42: I am very interested to learn more about enlarger lenses. I don't really know anything about them. Do you mount them in reverse on bellows? Does this still allow a good working distance for a handheld rig?

@~tc~: Do you have a link or anything?

@jonboy62: wow! great looking rig. do you hold it by the bracket? looks like a gun from Aliens. :thumbup: Would love to see some of your Macro shots. Do you have any online?

@WJW59: Now thats a cheap lens!!! Just checked on ebay. An AF version went for £85. There is a MF version too, 9 years old. Its AF and has a starting price of 99p. I'll see if I can find any reviews for it. Hope its sharp.

@stratocaster :biggrin: If I was rich, I would defo want one of them. That lens really shows why the company is called "canon" boom!

18. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    depends on the focal length

50mm Macro could be found for very cheap :

Industar 61 , Minolta Rokkor Macro 50 F3.5

90-100 that is more problematic :

i would suggest as well the Tamron SP 90,

an another lens to look at is the tamron SP 35-80 2.8-3.8 1/2 macro as well

19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
  20. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    No need to mount them in reverse. They normally come with an M39 screw mount, and you can buy an adapter ring to convert them to M42, which then gives you access to a wide range of adapters and tubes. I use a Fujinon EP-50 and an EL-Nikkor 40. When I take the 50 out in the field, I mount it at the end of some short M42 extension tubes on top my my Canon FD adapter (with an M42-to-FD adapter). Very light and portable, and I get better than 1:1 magnification in that configuration. Here's a sample:

4653784628_3bd6529081_b_d.

With that same configuration you can also fit microscope objectives if you just get an M42-to-RMS adapter. That then gives you 4:1, 10:1, 40:1 magnifications, etc., depending on the objective you use as long as you place it at the correct flange distance from the sensor. Here's a sample of a 4x objective on my GH1:

4577473406_05636a1d98_b_d.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1