Help requested please

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Westwardbound, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Westwardbound

Westwardbound New to Mu-43

Jan 18, 2015
    Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this.

My background in photography is film. I have a 35mm compact camera (Vivitar 35ES) and a Nikon SLR with kit lens, both of which I still use. I much prefer the Vivitar as it is smaller, less obvious and much quieter.

I have never owned a digital camera, but want to. I prefer to compose via a viewfinder rather than hold the camera at arms length to use a screen on the camera back. I tend to photograph family (including a daughter who horse rides), street, and travel/holidays, and would like to be able to isolate the subject from the background. I would much prefer a camera with direct control of shutter speed and aperture via dials rather than menus. I would print at up to A4 but no larger.

I would like my camera to be able to be carried most places I go, including in restaurants/social gatherings, so it must not be too big or be too "in your face" (as I won't carry it with me if it is.)

In my mind I am considering the Fujifilm X100T (as it is nearish in size and style to my Vivitar) or Panasonic LX100/Leica D-Lux Type 109 and as an outside chance Olympus OM10 or EP5 plus EVF (though I don't think either fit my "dials" preference). I have discounted the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 as much as I am attracted to it because it is too large.

Any thoughts on my short list, or alternative ideas. Many thanks in advance.

2. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Your subject criteria would seem to rule out cameras with a fixed focal lens (X100T) or a non-interchangeable lens system (LX100). Have you considered the Panasonic GM5? It is very compact, has a viewfinder, and you can select a lens for the task at hand. Mount the kit 12-32, and you have a nice all-around lens that keeps the camera pocketable. For indoors, the 20mm pancake would give you a discreet kit for low-light photography and nice subject isolation. For even greater subject isolation, the tiny 45mm is sharp and reasonably priced. For photos of your daughter on horseback, any of the tele-zooms (40-150, 100-300) would be just right.

3. Westwardbound

Westwardbound New to Mu-43

Jan 18, 2015
    Thanks. I wasn't sure that the GM5 had a shutter speed dial or that the Panasonic and Olympus lenses included an aperture ring.

4. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    The GM5 has a thumb operated dial on the camera back that controls the shutter speed or aperture depending on the mode selected. It also has an exposure adjustment dial on the top panel that can be thumb operated, which is a very nice feature. None of the Panasonic or Olympus lenses have an aperture ring in the manner of the X100T or LX100.

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Good suggestion. It's a lot of cash, but the GM5 with 15mm Pana/Leica rather than the 12-32 would give you an aperture ring too.

6. AndyCr

AndyCr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2013
    Pembroke Pines, Fl
    Andy Cripps
    The OM10 has two dials for aperture and shutter speed control

7. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I hadn't realized that feature on the PL15. That lens in combination with the GM5 is quite intriguing.