Help requested: bubble in lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by prophet, Mar 8, 2016.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I have a Oly 9-18mm, used it recently for a shot near the sea, and afterwards found that there is a bubble of water inside the lens.

ANy advice on how I can fix this?
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Not powering on the lens. Then sending in for repair.

If you want to try this you can place it inside a plastic bag with some new silica gel packets or dry common salt (dry it under the sun, on a heater, oven, not in microwave they say), close with a knot and wait a few days. But even if you can drain the water out of the lens some residues will probably remain around (salt, dust, etc.). So I think it will need a disassembling and cleaning anyway. It really depends on the bubble size.

EDIT: obviously do not cover the lens with salt, place the salt in a cup
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Wow, unlucky.
    When I take my 9-18mm near the sea this does not happen...

IN the sea would be another story.
  4. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Were near the sea or in the sea ?
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    I would steer well clear of salt, It's quite corrosive.
    If you don't have silica gel to hand, raw rice works remarkably well, and may be a better option than the small silica gel packs most places supply anyway.
    Airing cupboards work well for the gentle heating needed for drying kit.
  6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    A bag of rice works well for drawing out moisture out of phones and pc components, so I imagine it will work for lenses as well. I have a gallon size zip lock bag about a quarter filled with rice which I have used in the past with great success. To avoid direct contact with the rice and reduce the possibility of replacing the water bubble with dust, I would set it up with the bag draped around an upturned coffee mug on a table with the portion with rice on the table. Then you can place the lens on the mug and close the zip lock.

Good luck in any case. I have only had the lens for a couple of months, but I really like it. Hope you can get yours sorted out.