Help requested: bubble in lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by prophet, Mar 8, 2016.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I have a Oly 9-18mm, used it recently for a shot near the sea, and afterwards found that there is a bubble of water inside the lens.

ANy advice on how I can fix this?

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Not powering on the lens. Then sending in for repair.

If you want to try this you can place it inside a plastic bag with some new silica gel packets or dry common salt (dry it under the sun, on a heater, oven, not in microwave they say), close with a knot and wait a few days. But even if you can drain the water out of the lens some residues will probably remain around (salt, dust, etc.). So I think it will need a disassembling and cleaning anyway. It really depends on the bubble size.

EDIT: obviously do not cover the lens with salt, place the salt in a cup

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Wow, unlucky.
    When I take my 9-18mm near the sea this does not happen...

IN the sea would be another story.

4. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Were near the sea or in the sea ?

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I would steer well clear of salt, It's quite corrosive.
    If you don't have silica gel to hand, raw rice works remarkably well, and may be a better option than the small silica gel packs most places supply anyway.
    Airing cupboards work well for the gentle heating needed for drying kit.

6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    A bag of rice works well for drawing out moisture out of phones and pc components, so I imagine it will work for lenses as well. I have a gallon size zip lock bag about a quarter filled with rice which I have used in the past with great success. To avoid direct contact with the rice and reduce the possibility of replacing the water bubble with dust, I would set it up with the bag draped around an upturned coffee mug on a table with the portion with rice on the table. Then you can place the lens on the mug and close the zip lock.

Good luck in any case. I have only had the lens for a couple of months, but I really like it. Hope you can get yours sorted out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.