1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help recommending a flashgun for the Gh3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by retroglide, Feb 18, 2014.

1. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Have decided to buy a flashgun for my GH3. Are there any models out there that work better than others? Any user recommendations appreciated.

2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Either the Panasonic DMW-FL360L or the Olympus FL-600R. Other than some cosmetics, the flashes are identical. The Olympus is now the cheaper of the two. When I bought the Panasonic it was $40 less than the Olympus version. The are not particularly powerful, but are usable. Either will function wirelessly with the GH3 for off camera flash. If you need an off camera TTL cable, either the Nikon SC-17 or the Canon Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2 will work. I prefer the Canon as it utilizes the same flash shoe locking pin that the GH3 uses. Both flashes also incorporate an LED video light.
    8716837540_65776f4b64_n.

• Like Like x 1
  3. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    That's brilliant. Thank you very much. The wife is asking for some nice shots of our kids so I'm hoping to get some slightly better results with a flashgun also knowing that they offer wireless control and also with the TTL cable you mentioned, I may just come up with a nice result.
    Much appreciated

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Alternatively, you can use a radio trigger, like Pocketwizard Plus II... and trigger other types of flash on the remote end (as long as it has a pc sync socket connected).

• Like Like x 1
  5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What sort of lens/lenses will you be using? Sometimes a ring flash can be a very handy flash for nice even light and you can get them quite cheaply off eBay. Most require you to set the ISO and aperture manually, but this is pretty easy to do and becomes second nature after a while.

6. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    My main two are the Panny 20mm/f1.7 and Panny12-35mm/f2.8 I also have a Nikon 50mm/f1.8 adapted lens and Panny 35-100mm/f2.8

7. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I second biomed's suggestion - I have one and it's very good. It can also work in auto mode if you radio trigger it /or use the o/b flash as trigger so it's easier to set up if you are not a fan of full manual. One thing I strongly recommend are the Eneloop rechargeable batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  8. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Well have just ordered the Panasonic flash as I found it from a dealer a tad cheaper than the olympus version here in the UK. Have also grabbed the Canon Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2 also. So I'm pretty well setup now with a decent enough flash. Thanks all for the replies and advice.

9. andymacadams

andymacadams Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2014
    San Diego, Ca
    Doesn't the FL360L offer TTL wirelessly with GH3 wireless option? I have not played around with that option in my GH3.

10. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Yes, the DMW-FL360L and the FL600R both work with Panasonic and Olympus cameras with wireless flash capability as will the new DMW-FL580L.