1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help printing

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Ares, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Ares

Ares Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Hi I want to print the below picture, but not sure where to start... Have done some basic editing in lightroom (am a complete novice!) how big do you think I can print it whilst retaining the quality? Are there any uk based printers you would recommend to use?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmyorston/11137029616/" title="Santa maria sunset by jmyorston, on Flickr">"800" height="600" alt="Santa maria sunset"></a>

2. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Don't know what camera you have used, I regularly print to 16 x 20 with m43. Nice shot!

• Like Like x 1
  3. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    I'd say 40x60cm.
    Correct exposure a tad brighter (maybe 0.33), because on my calibrated monitor it looks a bit dark, and printing will darken it more. Note, that a print requires lots of local PP instead of global one to net you satisfactory results.
    What I'd do to it in post for a print:
    - Apply a touch of clarity, and positive EC with a brush to the coloured water reflections. Maybe use the "iris enhance" preset on the water's brighter areas and adjust a little.
    - Apply clarity+contrast (maybe 20/10) on the lit parts of the buildings, and the church with a brush.
    - Crop the poles and that bit of a boat on the left, same for the ones at the bottom. They distract the eye.
    - Needs quite a bit of output sharpening. I'd say 100/0.9/25/0. It will show artefacts in 100% but you won't print at 1:1 anyway. I wouldn't apply noise reduction. A print "swallows" digital noise to a good degree, and what's left shouldn't be noticeable.

Keep in mind, that paper is not backlit, so in order to achieve the same brightness levels, and tonal levels it needs a lot of experimentation.
    Even though I found "my" print lab, if I like a photograph, and have it printed, I usually need like 2-3 copies that I print small (10x15cm) to check exposure and tone. Sharpening always depends on print size.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ares

Ares Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    thanks was shot with an OMD-E5

good idea, didn't think about doing a couple of small prints first! Many thanks for your tips - will give these a go and put an adjusted photo up here.

5. Ares

Ares Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Santa maria sunset-2.

here it is

• Like Like x 1
  6. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    Looks good. Note, that the embedded pic in the message looks oversharpened. Upon clicking, and showing the actual size, however, the level of sharpness looks fine, so does the contrast.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ares

Ares Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Got my print today am really pleased with it, thank you very much for your help. Can't remember the exact size of the print but it's slightly under 30x40 and it could definitely go bigger. think when I printed it it was 300 dpi.

• Like Like x 1
  8. phl0wtography

Apr 15, 2011
    Glad I could help.