Help please

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Phlodge, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England
    I am not only new to this forum but also to MFT having been a Nikon user for many years. So hi there.

I have a number of Nikon fit lens and wondered whether I could use them on my new OMD EM10, on a steep learning curve at the moment so trying to understand menus and all things Olympus let alone understanding adapters.

The lens I have and looking to see if there was a way to make them fit and if so what do I need are ..

Sigma 150mm f2.8 APO macro DG HSM D
    Sigma DC 17-70mm f2.8-4 macro HSM

Its more the macro lens I am keen to know about, or would I be better buying the Olympus 60mm macro

Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

Phil

2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Welcome to µ4/3! :smile:

You should be able to adapt all of your Nikon lenses I believe (it's the one lens system that I've never used, looked at, or touched). If your lens has a manual aperture control, then you can use any Nikon-to-µ4/3 adapter. If the lens doesn't have an aperture control ring, then I believe you'll need a NIkon-G adapter with a manual aperture control ring built into it like this. I'm sure others will confirm or deny, but lots of people shoot with Nikon glass here, so for a small $15-20 investment, I'm pretty sure you'll be in luck!

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Hi and welcome!

I too came frome nikon, and have kept and even bought some Nikkors. True regarding aperturering on adapter, g-style lenses need that to operate properly on m43. The macro should be fun, but maybe a bit narrow. Would probably replace the zoom. I assume you know of the 2x cropfactor:)

You might wanna consider a speedbooster, or a focallenght reducer if you like. It basically multiplies the focallenght with 0,71 I think, and makes more use of the glass. This gives you an extra stop of light as a bonus. Your 150mm would turn into a 107mmf2 which has the field of view of a 214mm on 35mm. That would quite awesome, I think:)

Patrick K

4. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England
    Thanks for the input and for taking the time to respond

It proved helpful and steered me to possibly going native and getting the Olympus 60mm, seems silly to go MFT due to wanting to go small and then using big lens

Phil.

5. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    true that, though some big lenses make sense. Having a blast with a heavy but beautiful 90mmf2 macro myself, but it is borderland too much on m43. The oly 60mm is featherweight light, incredible optics, and cheap for its performance, imo. You only have to go very close with it, but other than that it is stellar. Ming Thein describes it as "transparent"...;)

6. Phlodge

Phlodge Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    England
    Probably go for the Olympus 60mm in a few weeks.

Contemplating a Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AIS at the moment.
    That doesn't seem too big.

Just put a thread out asking the question about how much I should be paying for one marked as excellent condition .. small bump on the filter thread but it takes a filter.