Help, please with "Custom" configurations

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by oldracer, Feb 12, 2016.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Moving into a GX8 now after GX7s and G1s I am deciding that I want to make more use of the "Custom" configurations C1, C2, C3, etc.

I have carefully gone through the user manual and set the camera up the way I want it. I did this with the dial in "P" mode. I then stored that configuration to C1. With this, C1 runs in "P" mode and configured to my preferences. So far, so good.

Now I want to set up C2 exactly the same as C1 except I want it to be in "A" mode. I could set C2 to be the same as C1 and then change the mode except I can't figure out how to do that.

I could also set the dial to "A" and then copy all the C1 settings to "A", then save to C2, but I can't figure out how to do that either.

What I do not want to do is to go through the whole manual a second time while in "A" mode, hoping to duplicate all my first-pass settings, then save to C2. But so far it looks like I will have to do that.

Any menu wizards out there who can help me out?

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    - Set the camera to C1 (again).
    - Switch it off and back on (to make sure all settings are as desired)
    - Simply switch the mode dial to A; no other settings should change.
    - Save the new setup as C2.
    - Set mode dial to C2.
    - Done.

That's how I did it on my GF1; the LX100 doesn't have a mode dial, so it's even more straightforward.

M.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks, Matt, but that doesn't work with my GX8 or my GX7. The C1 settings are not retained when I switch to "A" or one of the other modes. The settings that I get when I switch to A,P,S, M, ... are the ones that were last used with that mode. So, for example, if I set HS Drive when the mode is "A," then switch to "C1" I am in normal single shot mode as specified by my C1 recipe. When I switch back to "A" though, I am back in HS Drive. Actually I think this is the most logical behavior so I don't object to it. But I still have my problem.

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Sorry for my fumble; I'll have to re-check what I did with the GF1, then, but I guess it's already clear, even though I haven't used anything other than C1 for a long, long time - I probably have everything set to A anyway, so the same initial conditions applied when setting up all the profiles. My mistake.

On the LX100, there's no mode dial, and the P, A, S, M modes are controlled via two dedicated dials (shutter speed and aperture), so it makes sense to leave everything else to the C modes - *except* for those core modes. It's obviously different.

But honestly, in a way, what you experience makes sort of sense. After all, this behaviour actually maximes the effect of the mode dial. But I feel for you - it's a nuisance to have to redo the whole process for each and every core mode ...

Good luck - I hope someone else comes up with a working recipe.

M.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.