Help, please with "Custom" configurations

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by oldracer, Feb 12, 2016.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Moving into a GX8 now after GX7s and G1s I am deciding that I want to make more use of the "Custom" configurations C1, C2, C3, etc.

I have carefully gone through the user manual and set the camera up the way I want it. I did this with the dial in "P" mode. I then stored that configuration to C1. With this, C1 runs in "P" mode and configured to my preferences. So far, so good.

Now I want to set up C2 exactly the same as C1 except I want it to be in "A" mode. I could set C2 to be the same as C1 and then change the mode except I can't figure out how to do that.

I could also set the dial to "A" and then copy all the C1 settings to "A", then save to C2, but I can't figure out how to do that either.

What I do not want to do is to go through the whole manual a second time while in "A" mode, hoping to duplicate all my first-pass settings, then save to C2. But so far it looks like I will have to do that.

Any menu wizards out there who can help me out?

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    - Set the camera to C1 (again).
    - Switch it off and back on (to make sure all settings are as desired)
    - Simply switch the mode dial to A; no other settings should change.
    - Save the new setup as C2.
    - Set mode dial to C2.
    - Done.

That's how I did it on my GF1; the LX100 doesn't have a mode dial, so it's even more straightforward.

M.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks, Matt, but that doesn't work with my GX8 or my GX7. The C1 settings are not retained when I switch to "A" or one of the other modes. The settings that I get when I switch to A,P,S, M, ... are the ones that were last used with that mode. So, for example, if I set HS Drive when the mode is "A," then switch to "C1" I am in normal single shot mode as specified by my C1 recipe. When I switch back to "A" though, I am back in HS Drive. Actually I think this is the most logical behavior so I don't object to it. But I still have my problem.

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Sorry for my fumble; I'll have to re-check what I did with the GF1, then, but I guess it's already clear, even though I haven't used anything other than C1 for a long, long time - I probably have everything set to A anyway, so the same initial conditions applied when setting up all the profiles. My mistake.

On the LX100, there's no mode dial, and the P, A, S, M modes are controlled via two dedicated dials (shutter speed and aperture), so it makes sense to leave everything else to the C modes - *except* for those core modes. It's obviously different.

But honestly, in a way, what you experience makes sort of sense. After all, this behaviour actually maximes the effect of the mode dial. But I feel for you - it's a nuisance to have to redo the whole process for each and every core mode ...

Good luck - I hope someone else comes up with a working recipe.

M.