1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

help please: colour in RAW

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jyc860923, Apr 8, 2012.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    RESOLVED: help please: colour in RAW

I'm always confidently choosing Raw over Jpeg, except for one thing that Raw is really bothering me!!!

Whenever I shoot the red colors no matter how I tune the WB, the red messes up in photoshop and silkypix (it's not a matter of WB), turns into mashed pink block (pink bleed out) instead of being lovely red with fine detail seen from OOC Jpegs. That has been a big problem to me, I'm so afriad now to shoot the red colours:eek:.

I don't know what else I should've done with the software, but usually there isn't much change I made to the default.

Here's the solution, create a profile like this if you're using GF3 RAW in PS/LR:

HUE +25
    Saturation +50
    Luminance -15

ALL APPLIED TO RED

This is supposed to get you the right red extremely close to the camera jpegs, but sometimes may have side effects on high lights, try it for yourself and see how it works:smile:

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I wonder if it's a matter of you changing color space when you move to another program and going out of gamut. Does your GF3 allow you to pick a color space? (My GH2 does).

Can you post one of your RAW images on Dropbox or something for us to look at?

3. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Sprinke

I did try changing colour space but that's not working, GF3 allows both sRGB and AdobeRGB, and I'm using the former. At first I thought either tuning WB or changing colour space must resolve that, now I'm puzzled.

Wish I've kept a damn shot like that. What confuses me is it doesn't always happen, it happens when in low light and there's a bright red object e.g. lightbox or red paper. Seems like a kind of gain or shift the camera does while the software doesn't do well with.

4. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    wait, I have something to show, though this one is not obviously very bad, it could get a lot worse sometimes.

P1020932.jpg

I changed the WB to make the paper look closer to the red seen with bare eye, yet it's still not red, but camera Jpeg looks just fine and I didn't keep the Jpeg.

5. If it's just affecting one colour it may not be a white balance issue. You could try creating a custom profile for your camera that desaturates the red channel slightly. If the camera handles reds nicely in jpeg it should be possible from the raws as well.

6. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I shall try create a profile next time to recover the red from pink and keep it well saturated. It's just annoying I can't find the reason, don't know if anybody else has had this too.

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Are you sure that all your programs are set to use the same color space?

Sorry I can't offer anything else. It sounds maddening.

8. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I know how that sounds, but yes.

I can understand different developer software offers its own visual style, but they come to the same fault when handling red in low light.

So, do you guys sometimes get unexpected colours when camera's somehow set?

9. It's a bit of a different case since the camera is still quite new, but when I convert the CR2 files from the Canon G1X to DNG files using the beta release DNG Converter 6.7 and open them up in Adobe Camera Raw, the red channel is over-saturated. To fix it I just made a copy of my existing Canon EOS ACR profile and turned down the red channel.

Also, in Color Efex I have modified a few of the film filters for use with different cameras since (for example) my Micro 4/3 cameras don't respond as well to saturated yellows as my Canons do.

10. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    So I'd believe it's software problem, fine. Will make a few more tests and then post some shots here and maybe make some recommendations to those on the same boat, thanks Luckypenguin!

Oh, and, I'm supposed to receive the Sandisk Extreme 16GB SDHC UHS-1 300x Class 10 card tomorrow, cost equals to 20 Dollars in here.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'd suggest you post another example, with both jpeg and the converted raw so we can compare. On my monitor, that heart looks nicely red.

12. Badada

Badada New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2012
    I have the exact same problem and I have been looking all over for a solution for this when I saw this thread.

I use a GX1 with 20/1,7 and I get the result you can see in the attached pics.

The first picture is the JPEG with standard settings and the second picture is what the RAW file looks like in lightroom 4 with no processing at all.

Attached Files:

13. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've had the same problem with my G1, colours were off. Fiddling around with WB didn't help and I wasn't successful in manually trying to correct for specific colours. Ultimately I decided to buy an X-rite Colorchecker chart and profile the camera. This solved the problem, since then I was perfectly happy with the G1's output. My GH2 didn't need profiling as badly, but still benefitted from it.

I started this thread about it at the time.

14. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Thanks for posting, that's exactly the problem!

Panasonic gf3 lumix14 2.5 Olympus14-42 3.5-5.6
    Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Mu-43 App

15. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    So this isn't a problem of software support for new cameras, will read your thread later on to see if there's easy solution.

16. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Did you try silkypix software shipped along with the camera?

17. Badada

Badada New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2012
    I have now also tried with Silkypix and the built in preview in mac. See attached pics.

Attached Files:

18. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    It's still not right but better than lr?

19. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    RESOLVED: help please: colour in RAW

Here's the solution, create a profile like this if you're using GF3 RAW in PS/LR:

HUE +25
    Saturation +50
    Luminance -15

ALL APPLIED TO RED

This is supposed to get you the right red extremely close to the camera jpegs, but sometimes may have side effects on high lights, try it for yourself and see how it works