1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help pick next camera? (From X100S to E-M5, what's next?)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by kdern, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kdern

kdern New to Mu-43

Sep 28, 2013
    St Louis, MO
    Kevin Dern
    After 6 years with a Canon Rebel, I switched to the Fuji X100s and loved it. No lenses to choose from, amazing high ISO performance, great B&W photos. But the autofocus was too slow and drove me crazy... so after a year I sold it and bought a used Olympus OMD E-M5 and an Olympus 17mm f/1.8 lens. I've used that for 3.5 years now, but now the poor ISO performance is frustrating me. I can't shoot over about 3200 without getting an unacceptable amount of grain.

So what should I get next? Is the Fuji X100T autofocus faster than the X100S? Is it unreasonable to expect high ISO and fast AF in a mirrorless, and I should go back to a DSLR? Should I consider the Fuji X1 or Olympus OMD E-M1?

Thanks for any advice. (Just FYI, here's my full camera history.)

2. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla

Only one answer, you need to go to full frame's class.

Try to buy an used RX1. The price is reasonable now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If you've found the E-M5 to be unacceptable from a noise standpoint, then you likely won't be much happier with anything in m43, as there hasn't been a huge leap in noise performance. Between the E-M5 and the most recent cameras, there may be 2/3 or 1 stop difference, but nothing huge.

The new 24MP sensors in the newest Fuji cameras look great. Also, you pick up a Sony A7II and something like the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8. It'll give you the same DoF that the X100S gave you, but you get IBIS which should really help with static subjects in low light situations. It's not that big of a package either.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Regarding your praise of Fujifilm. It has been well documented that Fuji exaggerates about it's ISO sensitivity. A shot at ISO 6400 will not give you much high shutter speed than an ISO 3200 shot on m4/3. Meaning that while it does have cleaner high ISO, you'll need it because you'll be shooting at higher ISOs in the same light.

Personally, I have found m4/3 to be good enough that I rarely find conditions where I can't come away with a good image.

Here's ISO 6400, 1/60 at f2.8, so pretty dark. Tons of detail, noise is not intrusive at all.

P1140216.JPG

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016