HELP! Pen F file numbering? It's driving me bonkers

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Hi everyone,

So, I love my Pen F way more than I thought I would! However...the file numbering is driving me slightly crazy. It gives it file names that groups files by DAY OF THE MONTH. So, images taken on March 26 will be right next to images taken on November 26, but far away from images taken on March 27. This is sooooo ridiculous. When I download multiple days' worth of photos, I have to hunt all over the place to find the relevant files. Is there a simple sequential file numbering system on the Pen F that simply gives each file a number one higher than the previous one and that's that? (You know...the way digital cameras have worked since the 13th century?) Thank you!! :)

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Is there a simple sequential file numbering system on the Pen F that simply gives each file a number one higher than the previous one and that's that? (You know...the way digital cameras have worked since the 13th century?) Thank you!! :)
Yes you can. See p111 of the manual. Set File Name to Auto - this keeps the sequence going from xxxx0000 and ending at xxxx9999, after which it rolls over to xxxx0000. You can defeat the time digits using Edit Filename. For instance, I use my initials in the first three spaces in aRGB and add a leading digit (camera identifier) in sRGB. Do these and the camera will name files in the ancient and time-honored manner you crave.

Pen-F is a lot of fun, enjoy!

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Yes you can. See p111 of the manual. Set File Name to Auto - this keeps the sequence going from xxxx0000 and ending at xxxx9999, after which it rolls over to xxxx0000. You can defeat the time digits using Edit Filename. For instance, I use my initials in the first three spaces in aRGB and add a leading digit (camera identifier) in sRGB. Do these and the camera will name files in the ancient and time-honored manner you crave.

Pen-F is a lot of fun, enjoy!

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! (I got the camera used, so I unfortunately don't have a manual). I'll try the Auto thing...I had my initials set for the first two spaces as well, and it was still doing this silly date thing.

Okay..."Auto" is set, and renamed it a bit further and added a camera identifier after my initials too (thanks for that tip too haha) to differentiate it from my OM-D. I guess I'll find out if it worked in a few days!

Cheers! :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Since I have more than one Olympus camera, as part of the file name, I put the camera, so that I can easily see which camera an image came from.
Example1: O11Xxxxx = O + 11 + X + xxxx = Olympus + EM1-mk1 + X (place holder since I only have one EM1-mk1)
Example2: O12Bxxxx = O+12+B+xxxx = Olympus + EM1-mk2 + B (my 2nd EM1)
Example3: O10Xxxxx = O + 10 + X + xxxx = Olympus + EM10 + X (place holder since I only have one EM10)

The first letter is brand so that I can keep my Olympus pics separated from my Nikon pics.

By putting the camera tag into the name, this prevents the files from camera B from overwriting the files from camera A, if I put them into the same directory.
I sometimes use two cameras at an event.
I did similar to the schools cameras, for the same reason.

I am thinking of changing the name and tag my cameras from A to Z, so the camera code takes up only ONE position in the name, rather than THREE.
That let's me tag 26 different cameras :biggrin:. 36 cameras if I use alpha/numeric. :biggrin::biggrin:
Example A=EM1-mk1, B=EM1-mk2#1, C=EM1-mk2#2, D=EM1X, E=EM10, F=TG, G = EM5-mk4, H=EM1-mk4, I=EM1X-mk2, . . . .
But then I have to remember what tag letter = which camera :confused: So this is not as user friendly.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom