Help! Pen-F arrived. Question on Display- power up

SatyaR

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Satya
So my shiny Silver Pen-F arrived by DHL from seller in South Korea. Item was listed as new- and not used. Came in original box etc.

So charged the battery and put it in to check date etc. and screen does not come on- but slight glow. No text on screen. :confused-53: (My lens has not arrived yet). Please see photos attached. (Camera on box; Camera Rear Display at OFF; Camera Rear Display at ON)
Olympus-PenF.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
off.jpg
On.jpg
Images also at:
Olympus Pen-F arrived!

Question: For those with Pen-Fs
Does the camera need a lens attached to the body for the screen to come on?

Will charge battery again to see if it's battery (hope its a low battery!) Additional battery on way in mail. Have 14 days to return camera- so hoping its maybe low battery and will charge again and see.

Anyone with similar problems?? :crying:

dpswbab

Mu-43 Veteran
So my shiny Silver Pen-F arrived by DHL from seller in South Korea. Item was listed as new- and not used. Came in original box etc.

So charged the battery and put it in to check date etc. and screen does not come on- but slight glow. No text on screen. :confused-53: (My lens has not arrived yet). Please see photos attached. (Camera on box; Camera Rear Display at OFF; Camera Rear Display at ON) View attachment 579466 View attachment 579467 View attachment 579468 Images also at:
Olympus Pen-F arrived!

Question: For those with Pen-Fs
Does the camera need a lens attached to the body for the screen to come on?

Will charge battery again to see if it's battery (hope its a low battery!) Additional battery on way in mail. Have 14 days to return camera- so hoping its maybe low battery and will charge again and see.

Anyone with similar problems?? :crying:

With the camera turned on, does the EVF work? The LCD works on my OMD's even without a lens attached.

SatyaR

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Satya
No the rear screen flickers very slightly. No message or text visible anywhere. Hoping its battery- as charging it and now it shows orange led (despite being charged for sometime). :(

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
No the rear screen flickers very slightly. No message or text visible anywhere. Hoping its battery- as charging it and now it shows orange led (despite being charged for sometime). :(

No he was asking if the Electronic View Finder (EVF) worked, the round opening your stick your eye up against. Not the back LCD.

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Try pressing that button in the center (Fn2) to see if the rear LCD was turned off. The EVF should work if you put your eye to it.

D

Deleted member 20897

Camera does not need a lens attached to show the on screen display.

SatyaR

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Satya
Yes, I have also tried the EVF as well with the function key. The screen shows its on somewhat- as get dark screen with some slight light in background (like a TV thats on very dim) then after a few seconds you can see a white flash line and the screen goes dead. At this point there is a sensor sound like when a camera is powered off and on. I am hoping its a low battery so put battery on charger again and will leave it for a few hours and see. Otherwise I have a beautiful paper weight! Seller says 14 day refund. Hope that works- my first problem of ordering from ebay. Guess will have to order from reliable B&H or Adorama :) (They had no stock earlier- hence my getting on ebay).... sigh.. Two MFT lenses coming in 2 days and no body to use it seems :( Second battery also on route- so with luck maybe its just a faulty battery and I can test new battery before 14 days are up. Fingers crossed..

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I just tested my E-M10 and the screen is actually blank by default when there is no lens attached. Hitting the Menu button brings up the menu though. Try and see if that works for you.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Yes, I have also tried the EVF as well with the function key. The screen shows its on somewhat- as get dark screen with some slight light in background (like a TV thats on very dim) then after a few seconds you can see a white flash line and the screen goes dead. At this point there is a sensor sound like when a camera is powered off and on. I am hoping its a low battery so put battery on charger again and will leave it for a few hours and see. Otherwise I have a beautiful paper weight! Seller says 14 day refund. Hope that works- my first problem of ordering from ebay. Guess will have to order from reliable B&H or Adorama :) (They had no stock earlier- hence my getting on ebay).... sigh.. Two MFT lenses coming in 2 days and no body to use it seems :( Second battery also on route- so with luck maybe its just a faulty battery and I can test new battery before 14 days are up. Fingers crossed..
sorry to hear that apparently your new camera isn't working but let's wait for that battery to charge...

On a different note, you say: :...Otherwise I have a beautiful paper weight! Seller says 14 day refund. Hope that works- "
I had a few cases of evilBay purchases that didn't work out but I got refund every single time. While some say that unscrupulous buyers occasionally abuse this eBay policy it does help protect honest buyers like you :thumbsup:

SatyaR

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Satya
So after charging battery for whole day, I tried again and just get a darkgreyish screen. Menu key doesnt turn on menu, neither does function key work. I also inserted a SD card with images to see if they could show when playing the play button- nada, nothing.
So sending back the camera in its original wrapping etc. Sigh.. Lol- this was to be my first MFT camera! :frown:

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
So after charging battery for whole day, I tried again and just get a darkgreyish screen. Menu key doesnt turn on menu, neither does function key work. I also inserted a SD card with images to see if they could show when playing the play button- nada, nothing.
So sending back the camera in its original wrapping etc. Sigh.. Lol- this was to be my first MFT camera! :frown:
That's such a bummer.

If your lens and spare battery will come soon, maybe wait till they are here before you return. It is possible that the battery you got is damaged. FWIW, the Olympus refurb site has them on sale right now: Reconditioned Cameras - Outlet | Olympus. $749 for silver.

SatyaR

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Satya
Seller was nice- they are sending a replacement and I shipped back the camera this afternoon. As per Murphy's Law- my camera lens have arrived and no body! haha.

alextravels

Mu-43 Regular
Seller was nice- they are sending a replacement and I shipped back the camera this afternoon. As per Murphy's Law- my camera lens have arrived and no body! haha.
Sorry to hear about your experience. But now you can use the time to browse the forum for other stuff you can buy :D

SatyaR

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Satya
Monday FedEx drops off this beauty and I have to pick up this one from the Post Office :D..
PL425.jpg
leica15mmsl2.jpg

Sigh, two lenses and no MFT body to use! :shakehead: .... Will have to gawk at the lenses until my replacement Pen-F arrives :whistling: .....

SatyaR

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Satya
Update: Seller has received camera and now waiting for refund or replacement. I see ol' B&H has stock of Pen-F again :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom