1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help! -PANY, GF2 newbie-display has gone grainy with legacy lens

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by istanbul007, Apr 24, 2013.

1. istanbul007

istanbul007 New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Istanbul
    Hello,
    I would appreciate any help or advice offered. I have a GF2 with an adapted Canon FD 50mm f1.8. I am trying to relearn good photography fundamentals. I will eventually buy some native, auto-focus lenses,

THE PROBLEM: NEWLY GRAINY DISPLAY...VERY GRAINY! I am shooting in the no lens mode and have been able to get some good results at f1.8. These are mostly close-ups of my little son. I assume that I am in an AUTO ISO mode? Something has recently changed and I can't seem to take a decent picture at any f-stop, besides 1.8...inside my home. At the same time, I noticed that the display appears VERY grainy. This does not show up in the photo, however , the photos are generally bad. All of this happened at the same time. The display had been fine, up to this point.

What are the recommended settings for a legacy lens? What is causing the grainy display? Where should I set ISO? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    What mode you shoot in? I just started using a nikon f1.4 lens and I use manual mode, iso is manual, I get "grainy" image on lcd when my ISO is set above 400 or if I use above f4 and there is not enough light for my sensor.

3. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    You've got your aperture stopped down. Open it up, then close it right before you shoot.

Why this happens: The EVF has to boost the equivalent sensitivity (like ISO) to show you something when there's less light. Just like sensor noise in the final image and film grain, this causes noise.

Why is there less light? Cameras past the 1950's were designed to hold the lens wide open, even if you set the aperture to a small opening. Then just before it takes the picture, the camera releases the level (or v.v.) and the spring snaps the aperture to the selected setting. That way you can compose and meter with lots of light.

m4/3 cameras with legacy adapters don't do this, because each camera system had its own mechanism. Thus whatever aperture you set is the aperture the lens is at while metering. So you have to do it yourself: compose and meter wide open, then stop down if you want to.