1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help on rechargable AA Batteries

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by GShooter, Jun 1, 2012.

1. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

Could I please have recommendations for Rechargable AA Batteries for my Nissin Flash. I bought some Ni-MH batteries on ebay but they very quickly run out of power. Thank You.

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Well I don't know about flash, but the best rechargable AA imo should be the Sanyo eneloop, or is it called Panasonic eneloop now?

3. JoepB

JoepB Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    I use the GP ReCyko batteries in my Nissin. they hold their charge when you do not use them.

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    +1, I also have the Imedion ones, which are also hybrid type, and will hold a charge for a year.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Eneloops, no question.

6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Agree - Eneloops.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Another vote here for Eneloops. I've used them in Nikon gear (SB600 flash, SB900 flash, and the battery grip for the D300 camera) with good results.

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Powerx 2700 mAh Ni-MH from Thomas Distributing.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Eneloops are slow discharge. They will hold power longer without draining over time. Won't give you any extra power through a high-drain shoot but they will hold their charge when not in use. They certainly hold their own though when put through heavy usage. So they would be my suggestion as well.

I also have all sorts of other batteries. Sonys, Panasonics, Energizers, etc. The only ones I don't like are the Duracells.

10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Firstly get a good charger. That makes a huge difference to the performance and life span of your batteries. I use PowerEx chargers. Pricey but brilliant.

For lots of power I agree that the Powerex 2700's are the best. They'll go all day. For occasional use and long term storage you'll use Eneloops. Get a couple of sets of each and you'll be ready for anything.

Gordon

11. p.h

p.h Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    Another recommendation for a good charger, preferably one that can test the cells, discharge and offers a slower charging rate. The last being a great help for longevity. Here's my favorite, though I'm sure there are others;
    Battery Logic UK - Technoline BL-700 intelligent LCD battery charger

The Eneloops are good if you are going to leave them ready for action, if you are used to charging before use they have no other advantage. Though now the capacity has gone up and the price down, there's little disadvantage either. The black ones have a capacity of 2500 and actually measure close to that.
    When you buy batteries it's worth testing and putting in sets to use together. Even from the same packet the capacity will vary and any set will only preform as well as the lowest.

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    The eneloops come with a good charger if you look for their kit. I love them! Another fanboy here. I bought the black XX versions, I think they were higher power in the first place if that matters to you.

13. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    As you are in Europe, another good choice could be Ready4Power from Hama, they are of same Low-Self-Discharge type as Eneloops etc, cheaper, and there are no fakes.