Help on E-PL2 and lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gravitie, Aug 28, 2011.

1. gravitie

gravitie New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to photography.

I've got a new Olympus E-PL2 with 3 lenses included:
    40-150mm, 50mm f1.8, & Samyang 18-28mm f4-4.5

Could you give me a rough idea as to the pros and cons of each lens, and what type of photos they are good for?

I've tried the 50mm and found that it was quite 'zoomy', I have to stand back a lot to take a fairly well-framed shot. My main usage for the camera is to shoot everyday life, candid shots, portait, gigs and food shots, and a bit of travelling.

Should I sell some of my lenses and invest in another? I need advice! Will appreciate any input :)
  2. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Hi Gravitie,

Without going too much into details, Micro 4/3 sensor due to it's smaller size than the full frame (35mm film equivalence) converts focal length of your lens by two folds. This means your 50mm is in essence 100mm. I think when you said "zoomy" you meant "telephoto-yee."

So your 40-150mm is 80mm to 300mm. A telephoto zoom.

Your Samyang now... will probably provide the best focal length range for everyday life you wish to photograph.

I'm not new to photography but I'm new to MFT myself... but I actually like the stock 14-42mm and Oly 17mm lenses.
  3. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

The 40-150mm is your telephoto zoom, use that for capturing butterflies on flowers without chasing them off, peoples's expressions from afar, any part what you see that you'd like to make the entire picture about.

The 50mm f1.8 is your portrait lens. Generally, keep the aperture open (f1.8), stand far enough back to get the framing you want, and focus carefully on what you want shar. The rest will be somewhat to very out of focus. This can be a very pleasing way of keeping attention on your subject in an otherwise cluttered background.

The 18-28mm is your wide to medium angle zoom, allowing you to frame scenery shots without having to move around. Depending on its minimum focal distance, this might be a good macro lens as well - give it a shot or two for that.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My first thoughts is that your kit would benefit from adding one of the standard kit lenses to give you autofocus at wide angles, the cheapest being an M Zuiko 14-42mm MkI. The Samyang would be an interesting lens on a film camera with it's wide angle, but the focal length is neither here nor there on the smaller m4/3 sensor.
  5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    And/or, if you have the cash and like life on the wide side, the M. Zuiko 9-18mm. That goes from extremely wide (18mm eqiv.) to normal (36mm eqiv.) and is very compact (make sure you get the :43: version, not the 4/3 version.)
  6. gravitie

gravitie New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2011
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

So I was wondering if it's wise if I sell some of my lenses and get a 14-42mm, 20mm or 17mm. Are there images taken with these lenses on micro 4/3?
    Is it wise to sell the Samyang 18-28mm or 50mm? I've read praises about the 50mm but those are for normal DSLRs, is it a great lens for m4/3 as well?
    Since the 40-150mm is a telephoto, it's good for concert photography right as well right?

Sorry for asking so many questions at once :p
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There are so many different 50mm f/1.8s out there from so many different manufacturers. Which make is yours? We can't tell you if it's a great lens without knowing what it is. ;) For portrait shooting though, a 50mm f/1.8 is generally a decent setup on Micro Four-Thirds. For headshots I would go longer, like 75mm or more.

The focal length is right, but the lens is too slow for shooting in a concert environment. You should get a faster telephoto lens, like maybe the Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD, Zuiko 35-100mm f/2, or Zuiko 90-250mm f/2.8. Or a decent long prime like the Zuiko 150mm f/2 or Zuiko 300mm f/2.8. There are also lots of options for adapted lenses, anything with an aperture of at least f/2.8 and a focal length of at least 150mm.
  9. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I am new to SLR photography as well. I got my E-PL2 with the two kit lenses (14-40mm and 40-150mm). Two days ago I got an OM 28mm F2.8 and as it is full manual I have to say I FINALLY am starting to understand how aperture and depth-of-field actually work together.
    With the AF your brain (well, at least mine), doesn't bind the two concepts together.

Yesterday I went for a walk from Twickenham, via Ham to Richmond and back here in the Uk and I ONLY shot with the 28mm. Guess what?
    I know undestand better when I need one lens or the other.

And I also made a decision. I will force myself, at least for a while, to only bring out ONE lens at a time. This forces you to frame you composition depending on the limitations or that particular lens. And you grab it much more fast this way.
    If forces you to SEE with that lens and not see what you want and think which lens to use.

I hope you see my point, that you see, realize, and decide which way of seeing best suits you. See with your eye or though the lens.

10. gravitie

gravitie New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2011
    My 50mm lens is from Zuiko. So far I've only used my 50mm and since it's a 'fixed' lens, I understand the aperture and DOF concepts easier too.

Now that I've seen the images from various lenses, I'm really tempted to sell my Samyang for 14-42mm or the 17mm... since I'd like to take 'close' candid shots without looking awkward while having to stand back so much. I'd like to get a lens that is versatile enough for my usage. I don't really take landscape picture as much.

How much is the Samyang 18-28mm on the market?
  11. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Not sure.
    Think a tad more than 100 pounds.

However I just got my self a very nice deal on eBay. A guys was selling an OM-20 WITH an nice OM 50mm F1.8 on it for only 29.99 pounds + SH ! A bargain.

Can't wait for it to come.