1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help! OMD 10 FP sync questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DDinmpls, Dec 31, 2014.

1. DDinmpls

DDinmpls New to Mu-43

Nov 3, 2014
    I just bought the Neewer TT 850 Flash which is awesome because it uses Li-ion battery. 650 pops at full power 1.5 sec recycle and you can get RF controller for it for 1/10 of cost of pocket wizards. Although it is all manual. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to get it to FP sync with OMD 10. The flash has high speed setting, but I can't find anywhere in the camera manual anywhere how to get camera to FP sync other than RC mode. Will OMD bodies only do FP with OLY flashes using RC mode? I want to be able to use Neewer for fill flash at wide apertures outdoors. Am I missing something simple or am I screwed? Any help would be appreciated.
    Dennis

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    You need a flash which can communicate with the body to get FP sync mode, I'm unsure of the Neewer ones can (Olympus/Panasonic/Metz/Nissan all have ones which can fwiw).

You *might* be able to trigger the flash in a dumb fp slave mode if it has one using the wireless triggering... however I'm not familiar with the E-M10.

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Set your camera in Manual or Shutter priority mode, turn the camera off. Mount the flash on the camera, turn the flash on and set it for FP (Super FP) and then turn on the camera. You should be able to select shutter speeds in faster than 1/160 if the flash works with Olympus.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You should read what is said about the flash...this is a manual flash that syncs up to 1/250th, and "HSS (High Speed Sync) is also available off camera when using an appropriate transmitter unit (for Canon or Nikon)." The wireless transmitter is the only way to send HSS/FP commands to the flash, and only available for Canon and Nikon.

If you want to do high speed sync on camera with Oly you need either a compatible Olympus or Metz Oly TTL compatible flash.