1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

help!old flash on ep-1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Adubo, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    hello mu-43 people! g'day!

i just saw an old flash in my room lying around. and got this brilliant idea since the ep-1 doesnt have a built in fash, i might aswell use this flash on my ep-1. its an "achiever flash" uses (2) two double As (AA). when i put my eneloops in it, it almost quite instantly goes into ready mode (thats when the orange ready lamp turns on) it works when the test button is pressed. but when i mounted it on my ep-1. it whouldnt fire. it has only one contact, so i know that its not a dedicated one. secondly, im in manual mode on my ep-1 (and tried also with other programs) and turned the flash into almost every setting possible (slow sync, second curtain, red-eye etc)

still... it wont fire?:frown:

should i do something like a mod to make this work? ive heard some of the colorsplash flash you have to invert the wiring inside the flash to make it work on a digital camera

thanks in advanced for your help, i got excited with this flash since i dont get to use a flash on my ep-1 yet:biggrin: (i got 3 580exIIs and dont even try on using it on my ep-1) haha

-andrew:smile:

2. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Warning!

I would not mount any flash on the E-P1 or any other digital camera without knowing its trigger voltage. You can Google "measuring trigger voltage on flash".

The problem is that old film camera flashes often had very high trigger voltages 100V+ that could fry the electronic circuitry of digital cameras, which are often designed to accept only up to 6-8V. Lots of old flashes are available that do comply - e.g. the Sunpak 433 series are super powerful, adjustble flashes.

Here are the spec limits on the E-P1:
    E-P1 &gt Frequently Asked Questions