Help - New Mac Configuration...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bokeaji, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i was holding out for a new imac(hoping for retina, but mainly just any kind of bump)

but alas, apple likes to mock me... so no new imac for me for at least a few months it seems from the rumor mill(ugh)

so took a relook at the new mbp with retina. im going to be doing more travelling, so having something more than the ipad would be handy... as well as being able to play diablo3... teehee!

i def need more storage tho. part of why i wanted the imac was for the ssd+2tb option. so im taking a look at thunderbolt externals.

it seems the WD ones require 5400rpm or "GREEN" drives
    i dunno what that means, but it sounds like it means SLOW AND THEREFORE USELESS WITH A THUNDERBOLT CONNECTION
    lol

i saw the pegasus r4, but thats pricey and huge.

then i saw the lacie 1tb lil big disk
    its small, looks like pixar made it, has a 7200 rpm drive in it, and i think i could use it as my drive i take along with me
    it seems the best combo of physical size/memory/cooling/speed

then i could get the lacie 4 or 6tb "2big" drive to leave at home on the desk to backup everything to, along with a future 24+" retina seperate display
    (*glares at apple sternly*, give it to me!)

does this seem like a good plan??

also... 2.6 or 2.7ghz... $250 for 0.1ghz?! thats crazy, right???

and... 8 or 16gb ram?... its not user upgradeable anymore... im stuck at 4 now, and know id like more... but will i actually NOTICE the difference from 8-16? or will either of them be overkill for using aperture?

im currently on a unibody 2.4 c2d/4gb and using one of the lacie rugged drives to store my aperture library off of(kill me now! omg slow)
    just as a pt of reference

anyways, im sure ive babbled, but hopefully you wise folks can read thru my chatter speak and see the properly composed message hidden within! ;D

thanks for any and all help!

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If you just need the drive space for storage, seriously consider getting a couple USB 3.0 drives - even the 'slower' 5400 rpm drives (no performance monsters, that's certain) are fine for storage. Move any files you're editing over to your SSD if you're working with photoshop, archive to HDD. Thunderbolt for home use, certainly.

I'd consider 8GB a bare minimum for a modern high-performance machine - I have 4 in my MacBook Air, and I not infrequently use almost all of it when running DxO or Lightroom. My Mac Pro has 24 gigs, and while that is utter overkill for photography, I can be using 8 or so just for photoshop (16 bit Tiffs, composite images, several layers, about 50 megapixels worth of resolution). Probably a little more. The ridiculous RAM in my machine is mostly there for multitrack audio/virtual instruments and the like (other hobby)

• Like Like x 1
  3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I actually find WD MyBook TB Duo to be quite snappy.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm running 8GB on my MBP 13" 2009 C2D, and I usually have 3-4GB ram free at any time. So, I think 8 is the minimum, but I'm not seeing a need to go to 16GB. I think 16GB would be good if you really, literally have dozens of programs running at the same time, or if you are doing VMs.

For a drive, I'm running 750GB WD 7200RPM drive. It's still not a ton of space. I've got about 250GB open right now, and I don't shoot much video. If I did video, I am certain I would need more.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I went through a similar process and wound up with a 1TB USB drive.

I also started using "DropBox" more, and hardly need the drive on the road anymore. If you haven't tried it, 2GB is free, and great for moving work in-process around while on the road. You can upgrade for more space, and I've been close a couple of times, but so far the 2GB has been fine. The 1TB drive has been more for image storage than anything else.

I tried the EyeFi route for photos, and it works really well, but I just didn't get a flow working for when it automatically uploaded and to where.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I love drop box for documents. Have you tried it for images? My image library is way to big for the 2GB free.

(p.s. PM me if anyone wants an invitation to dropbox. You can sign up for free, but if I send you a referral, we both get an extra 1/2 GB free space :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I just used it to move photos around from home to the office. Usually just the final image, not the .psd. If I know I want to work on a particular image over the weekend or in the evening, I'll drop it in the folder. Good for class papers I'm grading as well.

Nothing replaces ftp access to your own server though. For like $60 a year, I have a domain name and server space with ftp access from GoDaddy. Firefox's FireFTP is free and GREAT!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ohlala! thanks for all the great advice! ill hafta take a look into these options! :D

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    5400 room dives can be quite speedy. The size cache a HD has will also help determine how fast or feels when workin on it but yes, 7200 rpm drives are faster. The reason 5400 rpm drives are popular in laptops (even high end ones) is that they produce less heat and consume less energy so for a laptop drive they are typically a better choice. For an external drive you can go either way. I use a 2TB 5400 rpm drive and it works fine and I would classify myself as a heavy user. I keep my entire photo library and media (iTunes) libraries on an external 2TB drve. It works like a charm. Also my Macbook's fastest connection is USB 2.0, if I had a FireWire or Thunderbolt connection I would have bought a 7200 rpm drive to take advantage of it. That said, I also use an external FireWire 7200 rpm drive on my 27" iMac at work and whil eit is faster it's not significant unless you are ding a lot of really disc intensive stuff.

I wouldn't bother with the more expensive processor. Any i5 or i7 is very fast and a small increase in MHz isn't going to be that noticeable or worth. He extra money. Put the money into extra RAM and get as much as you can. OSX likes RAM and the more you have the happier it is. Most folks will actually see more benefit in terms of overall snappiness from more RAM than they will from a faster HD.

Finally, as cool as the retina display is remember that right out of the gate a lot of application will actually look worse until they are updated to take advantage of it. You images howver will look amazing (as well as HD video). FWIW I think when I upgrade my computer I am going to grab an i7 Mac Mini (fast enough for my needs) as I already have a nice external monitor that I use with my MacBook and for under a grand I can get a nice i7 machine with a small footprint, tons of connections (USB, FW and Thunderbolt) and 2TB internally to go with my existing external drive(s).

Enjoy your new Mac. :biggrin:

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    You know... that hadn't occurred to me.