1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help Needed with OM-D EM-5 - Cracked Screen, camera acting strange

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdv, Jan 21, 2016.

1. pdv

pdv New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2016
    Hi all,

My very beloved EM-5 camera is acting very strange.

I noticed there is a cracked LCD, but reading from the forum it should not be a big issue as most EM-5s work fine regardless of a broken LCD.

Mine does not, unfortunately.

If I turn the camera on and immediately put my eye in front of the EVF, I can use it to take pictures. But note that the green focus box always resets to the smallest setting.
    When I remove my eye, the camera starts autofocussing rapidly and, more often the not, the camera "hangs". Placing my eye in front of the EVF, does not help at that point. Even after turning it off, it will continue to autofocus. I have to remove the battery and restart the process.

I also want to point out that before the screen cracked I sometimes had problems getting a life view (EVF or LCD) and had to put the lens in a couple of times to get it to work.

Does anyone of you have had similar experiences with Olympus cameras?

Would this be resolved by replacing the LCD? In other words, could it be the broken LCD that causes the camera to act weird?

Or, is there more significant damage to the camera?

Sending it to Portugal for inspection costs 100euro and that is just so they can tell me what is wrong with it and it could then cost a small fortune to repair it. The risk is too big.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks!

2. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Set it to EVF only so the LCD is shut off and see if that helps.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  3. pdv

pdv New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2016
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    I would love to try this, but I am not quite sure how I can set it to EVF only with a broken LCD

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    There is a button alongside the EVF. While looking through the viewfinder press it once. If that does not work then go through your cycles to get the camera working again and then press it again.

5. pdv

pdv New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2016
    Ok, I tried that. The button does not seem do anything. Even when the camera seems to work normal (as in not acting weird)

6. pdv

pdv New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2016
    OK, I figured it out. I hold the button and turn the wheel closest to the EVF. Then I have the option to turn of autoswitch.
    Now, when I power on the camera the EVF lights up and stays on permanently.
    If I then push the button the camera switches to the LCD and starts acting strange and buggy.
    So, it seems that it is the broken LCD that causes the camera to go haywire.
    I will use the camera in this setting for a couple of weeks to make sure all "buggyness" is related to the broken LCD.

Thanks a lot for your help,

If you are ever in Oslo, let me know, I'll buy you a beer ;)

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Have tried to disable LCD touch functionality altogether? Seems like there is shortcut in LCD that's causing camera to react like that.

8. pdv

pdv New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2016
    Hi Budeny,

thanks for your input. Yes, it seems to be the LCD that causes the problems.
    I will use EVF only for some weeks and see if the camera acts stable.
    If that is the case, I'll replace the LCD.

I found a great guide online:
    Changing the Olympus OM-D E-M5 LCD Screen

It doesn't seem to be all that difficult to do

9. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks for all the info everyone on using the E-M5 without an LCD. I bought an E-M5 with broken LCD on EBay for an incredible price, and can use it for the time being with EVF only. It was not very intuitive to have to hold down the view button, then spin the wheel at the same time.

I will replace the LCD soon, but for now it feels almost like film camera (because chimping is rather inconvenient!)