Help Needed With Odd (to me) Lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Itchybiscuit, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Hi guys, I need a little bit of input here.

What I'd like to know is, is this lens useful, common, rare, worth anything, nothing?

I've never come across its type before but that probably says more about my lack of knowledge than anything else! :wink:

This is a side view of the adapter:
    VivitarSeries1f25-90mmMacroAdapter.
    Front View of Adapter:
    VivitarSeries1f25-90mmMacroAdapter03.
    Side View of Lens:
    VivitarSeries1VMCf25-90mmMacro.
    Front View of Lens:
    VivitarSeries1VMCf25-90mmMacroFront.
    Side View with Adapter:
    VivitarSeries1f25-90mmMacroAdapterandLens.
    Side View with Adapter and Lens Hood:
    VivitarSeries1f25-90mmMacroAdapterandLensHood.

Thanks in advance chaps! :2thumbs:

2. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    Made by Tokina and much admired in it's day. Don't know how it would fare against modern glassware but if my days with the old Pentax MX remind me properly I would think it be pretty good with an adaptor. Hope this helps a little.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    With the glass element in the adapter I'm guessing it's some sort of tele-converter...

• Like Like x 1
  4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    It certainly looks like a tele-converter. The EC20/EC14 are similar (without the tripod mount).

• Like Like x 1
  5. uberzone

uberzone Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2014
    What you have there is a Vivitar 90mm Macro with an adapter that makes the macro 1:1. By the serial number you can tell it was make by Tokina and it looks to be a M42 screw mount. I wouldn't say it is really rare or valuable and it does not seem to be all that great of condition. Cruise on over to eBay to get an idea of what they are worth. With a cheap adapter I'm sure you could get some fine portraits or macro shots with it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Yes made by Tokina as indicated by the first two digits of the serial number - 37. That is not a telextender but a 1:1 adapter. This lens is also known the "Bokina" for it's extremely soft bokeh. here is a thread with photos - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=30489

• Like Like x 3
  7. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Now that's a power of information!

I'm going to screw my G2 onto the end of it and mount the whole shooting match on my 141RC head. I'll require a dedicated team of Sherpas but having checked out the links provided by you good people it looks like it might be more than worth the hernia.

Thanks! :2thumbs:

Just wanted to add re: condition - if you look at the 'head on' photograph you can see a bluish tinge at places between the outer housing and the lens barrel. This is because the original blue plastic film is still firmly attached to and completely protects the extending barrel of the lens. I should have photographed it but hindsight, eh?