Help needed with E-PL1

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my E-PL1. The 'shutter' doesn't seem to 'fire' when I take a picture. The screen goes black and a wee red SD card symbol appears and flashes up in the left-hand corner of the screen but nothing is written to the card. This process takes about 5 seconds from pressing the shutter button to the screen returning to the live view.

What's most confusing is that when I use the movie record button the camera captures movie footage and write data to the card with no problems at all. All other functions work perfectly well and I can change settings, view the SCP and customise buttons.

I can only imagine it's related to the shutter button as I don't need to touch it when capturing movies.

Please feel free to chip in with any possible solutions as I'm willing to try anything (as long as I can keep my clothes on!) :wink:

Think of me as a functional idiot who hasn't tried anything at all - everything that is suggested to me WILL be attempted. I'm off to bed but feel free to bombard me with clever ideas. I'll give it a bash in the morning and let you all know how I got on with the different remedies. :2thumbs:

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
* Format the card using the camera. Try again.
* Remove the lens. Fire the shutter. Does the physical shutter close, open, close, and open again.
* Is the shutter value set to 5 seconds or longish?
* Custom Reset -> select Reset.
* Fully charged battery. Is it third party? Healthy?

If its a camera failure, a replacement E-PL1 is pretty easy to find (assuming you want another). Just bought my 2nd one for $85+shipping.

Timmy

Mu-43 Regular
You also could try using a different SD card to be sure it's not that issue - sometimes specific models of SD cards / or a card hardware fault can do weird things to Oly cameras.

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for your replies guys.

The shutter doesn't seem to move except when I switch on the camera - it does a tiny side to side 'shimmy'. When I press the shutter button it doesn't move at all.

I have implemented all of the above suggestions but none of them have fixed my problem. I do think it has something to do with the shutter - hence the ability to capture video and not stills. It's quite annoying. :wink:

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I assume you tried this (which was from the flickr link thread)

"Then I went to Menu/Custom Settings (the two gears symbol)/Utility/PXL MAPPING. The camera started a process and the shutter fired a few times. Once this process was complete, my camera worked again! I suspect that along with the PXL mapping it cleared some parameter or loaded clean software or reset something that cleared the issue. I don't know but in my case it worked and I won't have to send the camera in for repair. "

Worked for at least two posters in that thread.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom