1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help needed with E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Itchybiscuit, May 7, 2014.

1. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Hi guys,

I have a problem with my E-PL1. The 'shutter' doesn't seem to 'fire' when I take a picture. The screen goes black and a wee red SD card symbol appears and flashes up in the left-hand corner of the screen but nothing is written to the card. This process takes about 5 seconds from pressing the shutter button to the screen returning to the live view.

What's most confusing is that when I use the movie record button the camera captures movie footage and write data to the card with no problems at all. All other functions work perfectly well and I can change settings, view the SCP and customise buttons.

I can only imagine it's related to the shutter button as I don't need to touch it when capturing movies.

Please feel free to chip in with any possible solutions as I'm willing to try anything (as long as I can keep my clothes on!) :wink:

Think of me as a functional idiot who hasn't tried anything at all - everything that is suggested to me WILL be attempted. I'm off to bed but feel free to bombard me with clever ideas. I'll give it a bash in the morning and let you all know how I got on with the different remedies. :2thumbs:

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

* Format the card using the camera. Try again.
    * Remove the lens. Fire the shutter. Does the physical shutter close, open, close, and open again.
    * Is the shutter value set to 5 seconds or longish?
    * Custom Reset -> select Reset.
    * Fully charged battery. Is it third party? Healthy?

If its a camera failure, a replacement E-PL1 is pretty easy to find (assuming you want another). Just bought my 2nd one for $85+shipping.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    You also could try using a different SD card to be sure it's not that issue - sometimes specific models of SD cards / or a card hardware fault can do weird things to Oly cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Do all Usayit told you,
    also post a photo of the SCP before and after ... might be something you've missed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Thanks for your replies guys.

The shutter doesn't seem to move except when I switch on the camera - it does a tiny side to side 'shimmy'. When I press the shutter button it doesn't move at all.

I have implemented all of the above suggestions but none of them have fixed my problem. I do think it has something to do with the shutter - hence the ability to capture video and not stills. It's quite annoying. :wink:

6. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    • Like Like x 1
  7. usayit

If you haven't already, you can also check if the firmware is the latest.

8. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    That thread describes my problem exactly. My firmware is 1.3 and I reset the camera but still no joy.

It's on Ebay listed as 'spares or repairs' - I just wanted a final opportunity to try and bodge it into life. You win some, you lose some...

9. usayit

I assume you tried this (which was from the flickr link thread)

"Then I went to Menu/Custom Settings (the two gears symbol)/Utility/PXL MAPPING. The camera started a process and the shutter fired a few times. Once this process was complete, my camera worked again! I suspect that along with the PXL mapping it cleared some parameter or loaded clean software or reset something that cleared the issue. I don't know but in my case it worked and I won't have to send the camera in for repair. "

Worked for at least two posters in that thread.