1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help needed troubleshooting an E-M5 IBIS problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Replytoken, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Last night was the first big event I shot with an E-M5 and E-M1. And sometimes the gods of Olympus are kind, and others, like last night, they were a bit unkind. While I have many things to discuss, most likely in another thread, I did have some big issues with the E-M5 that I was using. I purchased this low-mileage body about a month ago and immediately sent it in to Olympus/Precision to have the complimentary LCD frame replaced as it had the crack around the bottom screw. Precision sent the camera back and said they performed an inspection of the camera, and that all functions were working correctly. The camera also has the latest firmware. I was shooting with the Olympus HLD-6 battery holder and two fully charged Olympus batteries. I was shooting a dance competition in a dark theater, and suddenly when I went to focus, the EVF went blank, the IS1 icon was the only thing that appeared and it was orange. The camera locked up and then shut off. This happened a few times, so I was wondering if the HLD-6 was not playing nice. I removed it and continued to shoot, and had a few more lock-ups, especially when shooting vertical.

This morning, I tried the camera again, and after one or two touches of the shutter, the same thing happened. I tried two other Olympus lenses, and it continued to happen again. Before I approach the seller or Precision, I would like to see if there is anything else that might be causing this problem that can be easily remedied. I am suspecting that it related to the IBIS since that was the icon lit up in orange, and when I turned the IBIS off, I did not have the problem. Is this in need of service, or is there something that I can do to clear out the fault? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The seller is a local dealer and I have a good relationship with them, but I would really like to see if things can be properly resolved in a more simple manner if possible.

--Ken

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'd try a complete reset (factory reset) and see if it improves things. I've had the odd lockup on mine, but never more than once or twice a year.

3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Do you know if a reset clears out error codes on page 4? The camera is showing two error codes (8236 and 8261), both being repeated for a total of four lines of errors.

--Ken

4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It sounds like the camera is going to need to be sent back to Olympus/Precision since they just worked on it and gave it a sensor cleaning and testing before sending it back to me. Should I send it in as it is (with error codes), or should I attempt a hard reset with the hope that it might solve the problem? I am a bit concerned that bricking is possible since I have not done a hard reset on an Oly camera body, but I hate to send it back and lose another month if the problem could be easily solved.

--Ken

5. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I've had a bad lens-body communication cause all sorts of weird stuff on my E-M5. Is this happening with multiple lenses? You may want to investigate that aspect of it, or clean the contacts on both parts. Hope you can get it resolved.

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It happens with multiple lenses, and without lenses. Basically, the IBIS system is out of commission. I did not seem to have these problems before the camera was sent in, so either something happened during the repair process, or it was heavily impacted during transit. It is possible that it was there before, but Precision says they check all functions out before returning a camera, so it is a bit of a mystery, but the camera was not dropped or jostled since it was returned to me. For the most part, it was sitting in its shipping box because I had a very busy week at work, and had little time to shoot. Very frustrating!

--Ken

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If you're getting lots of error codes it sounds like it's it needs returning. I'd be suspicious if it was working fine before the clean but not after.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think it's be potentially a big plus in terms of Olympus service if they can see all the error codes. There may even be some value to them in the sequence of the codes. I would not reset it before you return it.

9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I will call Olympus tomorrow to see if they will be gracious and consider covering this potential repair. Unless they instruct me to do a reset, I will send it as is. Another month lost. :frown:

--Ken