Help needed to make my Panny GX1 raw file usable in Photoshop CS5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rossi46, Mar 6, 2012.

1. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Dear all,...

I am a total newbie with anything related to do with cameras, due to my understanding that RAW files gives huge data in editing, I got myself a Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3.4.1.

I had a very frustrating time to get it to read GX1 raw format.

I had downloaded the Adobe DNG converter version 6.6, which is supposed to support GX1 raw file, but not working.

The problem I am facing now is -
    when I use the Adobe DNG convertor to source for my raw RW2 files,....I see totally "nothing" in the folder even though there is raw files saved there.

Am I missing any steps there,....??

I really BEG if someone is really kind enough to baby feed me with step by step approach, I am a computer idiot / nearly illiterate.
    I had been trying to figure this thing out for nearly a month now without any success, been looking at internet, youtube,...consulting anyone I know....been searching while at home,...most of the time while at work....
    :frown::frown::frown:

P/S - I am so sorry to start my first new thread here in such a negative note....

2. With the DNG convertor, when I select the folder I want to convert from, none of the raw files will show up in the dialog box. It seems to be purely to select the folder location only. If you select the folder you want and then press "Convert", it should start converting all the raw files it can find in that folder. It will convert ALL of the compatible raw files in that folder, including making copies of any previously converted dng files if you have left any in there, so make sure the only raw files in the selected folder are the original rw2 files.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You don't need DNG Converter if you're using the current versions of your software.

Download and install Lightroom 3.6 and Adobe Camera RAW 6.7 for Photoshop and you won't need to do anything special to read the GX1 raw files.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  4. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012

Hi Lucypenguin, thanks for your quick reply.

Let me try this at home after work.

After converting the files to DNG, I can open this converted format directly from Photoshop CS5 or Lightroom 3.4.1 and start working on it immediately?

5. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Hallo Dhazeghi,...

I do not have LR 3.6, as the 3.4.1 is from a friend of mine.

Anyway, about the Adobe Camera RAW 6.7, is the download from Adobe website free?
    Is Adobe Camera RAW 6.7 a totally separate and different editing software from a Photoshop CS5? Or it is a tool that can be linked to the Photoshop CS5?

Secondly, I have another question, by using a converted DNG file vs using the Raw R2 file directly when using ACR6.7 or LR 3.6...
    Will there be any difference in the quality when working with the 2 different file formats?

Hope all of you guys in this forum can bear with all these silly questions.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Both are free downloads. If you have LR 3.4, you can upgrade to 3.6 without any difficulty.

ACR is a plugin that Photoshop uses to deal with raw files. All installations of Photoshop come with some version of ACR. You just need to update yours.

There's no difference in quality. However, DNGs introduce certain complications. You can always convert your RW2 to DNGs. You can't convert back though. For that reason, I'd stick to RW2 unless you have a good reason to use DNGs.

DH

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Just update Adobe Camera Raw. You don't need Lightroom, DNG, or anything like that...

Though of course it doesn't hurt to get those things... you just don't need them to read your Panasonic RAW file directly as a Panasonic RAW file.

8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I've been able to enable the rw2 support in adobe camera raw, leave your email address here and I'll send the plugin file to you, which will be put into the \plug-ins\file formats\ folder. BTW is your photoshop x86 or x64, each uses corresponding plugin.

9. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Hallo Luckypenguin,...

Your simple instructions worked!!! Phew!!!.... Finally after about a month's blind research.....it worked...Wished I found this forum earlier
    Million thanks.

Hallo Dhazeghi....
    Thanks for the tips.....will be looking out for ACR 6.7 soon for the sake of convenience...Thanks

Yo Ned ...
    Your message is understood.

Halo jyc860923....
    I am not sure what is my version of the CS5,...when I run it at the beginning it shows 12.0x32.

Big thanks for your kindness to offer sending the plug in file.
    Here's my email add -
    chow.weihsien@gmail.com

To everyone once again,...you guys saved my day. I just don't know how to repay you...
    I guess none of you here stay in the same place as me?
    Am from Penang, Malaysia (one of the countries in South East Asia). Its between Singapore and Thailand.
    I would surely spend you food if any of you guys are here...

Well,...how can I repay back,....maybe the best way would be to share some nice pictures of my hometown.

But it won't be so soon.....I am a total newbie in camera,...let me start learning and practising until I reach a novice acceptable level before I start sharing pictures here.
    This is my first ever camera,.....now that I can start doing RAW and editing,...great,....
    a big lease of life is coming out from me.....

I believe in photoshop stuff in order to maximize a photography, or give the mood that I want...I do know of some people who are against editing and just rely on great cameras and great shots.

Before I bought the GX1, did alot of internet surveys,...and general feedbacks are -
    - cold and not so good JPEG (especially compared to Oly),...but very good RAW file with alot of details to work with
    - one of the best in low light for M43 format.
    These two points are good enough to convince me to get this camera,...plus for some reason my wife loves it,...and so do I,...for the simplicity of the design with some slight retro look to it. Latest trend seems (X100, X10, Oly) to be for every camera to go full blown classic or retro design,....so that makes GX1 something abit different in a way that it is quite simplistic in design in its own right, with slight retro tone,..and with functionality in mind,....and for me it looks much better in real world than pictures on the net...
    Just about the right blend for me.

Happy shooting and happy editing to me!!!!!!!

10. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Rossi

look forward to seeing your pix then.

I can send you the plugin file later but I don't know if it works for you unless you upgrade to the latest version of ACR.

not in the same country, but I share the same timezone with you.

have fun!

11. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Maybe I am missing something here, but if you have Lightroom and can read the file there, there is always the option to export the image to photoshop as a tiff. I have done that for some time as I have CS3 and it will not let me have further updates to Camera Raw without buying the newest version of Photoshop. With the plug-ins for Lightroom, I have not needed to do that very often.

Cliff

12. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Thats great, you are from China right?

I had been having some fun exploring around the CS5 with random experimental shots, even though I am just using basic functions, I am highly impressed with what Photoshop can do.

I am going to start sharing some proper pictures to everyone once I get better with shooting.
    These few weeks, are still like experimental weeks to understand and learn about camera.

I think this new hobby of mine is gonna keep me busy for many months and yearss to come, I realise there are tons of things to learn in capturing photos and using Photoshop....

• Like Like x 1
  13. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Yeah you do.

btw have you received the "plugin" I sent to your gmail?

and I am from China, post your works buddy

14. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Hallo Kian....yeah i got it!!!!!!!

I will be installing it this weekend:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Thanks alot buddy!!

I would love to start posting my pictures, but its gonna take awhile because of 2 reasons -
    - i am a complete newbie, takes a while to learn
    - I am a busy family man now with a new baby,...and my time playing around with software and camera is quite limited at the moment.

I am just itching to get every free time available hehe

15. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Hey Kian,....

On second thoughts, you are right,...no matter what I should try my best to start posting pictures here soon in order to learn,....because there are so many helpful and knowledgeable forumers here which can speed up my process of learning.

I found this out when I was looking at GX1 Camera insecurity thread

First step,...I am gonna read the rules of posting pictures....hehe.

I think this place is gonna be my new "virtual" hangout place...

16. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    then look forward to it

baby pictures could be a really nice theme IMO

and i've got your email, you're welcome!

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey Lucypenguin ... you have a new name! lol

G

• Like Like x 2