1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help needed - photo import functions

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jock Elliott, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Previously -- Windows 10 photo import is a thing of evil and I found a work around! -- I reported my unhappiness with Windows 10 and its photo import function. I also reported that I had found a partial work-around. Now I hear that Google is going to abandon Picasa, which means my partial work-around will disappear.

My photo editing software, DXO9, has no import facilities at all.

What I want is something that mimics the excellent photo import wizard of Windows 7. To wit, when you slide the SD card into the computer's slot (or you attach the camera to the computer via USB cable), a dialog pops up. It allows you to specify the name of the group of photos you are about to import. I like to use naming conventions that include the camera, the place, and what the subject is. An example would be "LX100 Frear Park Sunset." (Naming stuff this way makes for really easy searching later)

When the photo import wizard does its thing, it creates a folder with the above name and then gives the same name and a number to every photo that is imported into that folder. My partial workaround with Picasa allowed me to name the folder but not the individual photos that were imported.

So, does anyone on MU43 use photo processing software that runs on Windows and provides an import function like what I just described? (Yes, I know that I could copy and paste photos from the card to the computer, but doesn't that require that I individually rename every single photo if I want them to have something more than merely a number?)

Cheers, Jock

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    True, but ...

... using a utility like BulkRenameUtility makes the renaming a very minor chore

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    +1 for BRU.

Also Irfanview has the ability to batch rename files with date/time stamp which I find useful when bulk resizing jpegs for sharing especially with files from more than one camera.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you copy all of your photos into a folder, you can then select all of the files, right click, select Rename, you'll be able to change the name of the first file and Windows will name all of them to whatever that name is and appended a sequential number starting with (1).

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Wow, Clint, that works really well. I tried it on a new import and also on a folder where photos had previously been imported with just camera number. Put a Gold Star on your chart or a smiley face on your locker!

Cheers, Jock
    PS -- and thanks to all who suggested bulk renamers of one sort or another.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I normally file things into named folders, and don't rename the images too often, but...

1. I use TotalCommander for file management... It can do bulk renaming, etc.

2. DigiKam has an auto importer, but I haven't tried that feature.

Barry