Help needed: Panasonic wants to display my work at Fotokina, but.....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tanngrisnir3, May 31, 2012.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    I was just contacted by Panasonic this morning, saying they want to display my work, with that of 200 other Flickr members who shoot Panasonic, in their main booth at the upcoming Fotokina.

They stated, however, that they want to do this at A1 size. As I understand it, A1 paper is 594 mm x 841 mm, which would be about 23.38" x 33.11"

That's flipping HUGE, and I don't know if GH2 shots, even at full size will hold up to that, or if they will which of my shots would stand up to that size, resolution-wise.

Is anyone familiar with how big one can go with 16MP shots, and which ones tend to do better at such sizes (bright landscapes, moody black and whites, etc...)?

Thanks, as always, in advance.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It depends on how far people stand from the image and what method they use to upres the file before printing. At normal viewing distances, there's no reason a GH2 file can't look terrific at that size. I would pick an image you want to show rather than choosing between a moody black and white or landscape based on which will hold together at a large print size. If they are doing the printing, then I'm sure they know what they are doing. Just give them a good 16MP file, and you'll be all set.

Congratulations on being selected to have your work displayed!
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    They won't hang anything that doesn't look good. People worry way too much about pixels and printing. I've seen poster sized prints from 6MP cameras that looked great.

Congrats, too.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congratulations! About the size of the print: I just had a 40" x 30" canvas print from a Canon 350D image cropped down to about 7MP. It looks good to me.
  5. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks, everyone!

It occurred to me just after I posted this that, hey, it's Panny doing the printing, I'm sure that they're going to know which ones will work according to their needs.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A1 from 16MP is absolutely no problem. DPI resolution required is determined by the line resolution used by the printer. The line resolution is determined by viewing distance and paper stock. Expected viewing distance is largely determined by print size, with an inverse relationship. The larger the print size the longer the viewing distance for a person to get the entire image in their field of vision, and therefore the lower the resolution required for print. Large format prints are also printed on more porous stock, which also requires lower resolution. If you try to feed it too much then it will simply blot and look terrible.

Just pick your best photos, and make sure they're sharp.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    You should not concern about how detailed pr how fine print it would be. Such a huge shot would not be view upclose anyway. You will need at least be 2 meters away to view the full picture.

Congrats and being selected btw!
  8. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks, Ned.

When it comes to printing, something I almost never do (although the g/f has an high-level Epson at home), I'm clueless.

If I understand you correctly, does this mean that it's easier (theoretically) to make things look good on a big print than it is on a computer screen?
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sometimes but not necessarily. :) If you want to talk about low resolution then monitor resolution is generally a lot lower than print. The average computer screen displays from 72-98 pixels per inch, whereas a photo printed at on small, glossy stock (something read at arm's length or so) is printed at 300 (offeset printer) to 450 (digital printer) dots per inch. Large format on the other hand, may be anything from 50dpi to 150dpi. Keep in mind though, that may involve a lot of inches. ;)

Now if you're talking about looking at an image on a computer screen and zooming in at 100%, then no you would not be able to scrutinize a print to that extent. On the other hand, if you're talking about displaying on a computer monitor so that you can fit the whole image on the screen, then most prints will show more detail.
  10. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Congratulations! But make sure they pay you the going rate. This is not something you should do for nothing.

You and you alone own the rights to those images.

Don't worry about the size of the prints, as they will mostly be viewed from far enough away that "only" 16 MP will not be not a problem. Once again, well done!
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The people at Panasonic choosing the images will just go go down the list to the next person, and then tanngrisnir3 wind up with neither money or the satisfaction of having their picture on display. For the purpose of display at a show, unless one were a name photographer the value of the image is nil.

Oh, and how would the going rate for this useage be calculated?
  12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Good one mate.

I got the same email too, from a Mr/Ms Kim of Panasonic Consumer Marketing in Germany ?

My understanding was that they select the image, YOU print it (insert your name and name of camera model at bottom of print) ...then when they are done with it, they send you the print back. No fee involved.

Not sure how much a 'high quality' print of THAT size would cost, never printed before but a fair bit i imagine....but given that the print comes back to me I'd prefer if i didn't have to have the camera brand printed on there too.

lol.......will they mind that I'm now using an EM5 ? :eek:
  13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    If what Livnius suggest is correct, Panasonic are idiots for leaving the printing up to the photographer. Who knows what they'll get. And I wouldn't even consider it. They should be doing the printing.
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have a good solution for you. This company will do high quality poster sized prints for just $10.95 each with the stipulation that you order at least two: El-Co Color Labs, Inc.

You could have them do one copy with the camera model printed at the bottom, and another without. I've ordered 20x30" prints from them in the past, and the quality is excellent. If you need sizes other than listed, they can do that too (See their FAQ).

They do an excellent job upsizing your image to the native 254dpi of their printer, so you do not need to do any upsizing of your own. All you have to do is process the image so that it looks good to you (sharpen to taste, etc), and make sure that the aspect ratio of the image that you send them is the same as the aspect ratio of the print that you order. The simplest method if you use Photoshop is to select the crop tool and set the proportions to the size you are ordering, but leave the resolution field empty/blank. Then crop the image. By doing it this way you crop the image proportionally to the size you want to order, but without doing any resizing/interpolation.

I would keep that to yourself :rofl:.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Ha! I saw you on the contact list of that Panasonic official at Flickr, and was just about to send you an email about it.

My understanding from that email is that THEY print it, and payment will be in the form of getting that big print after the show and the recognition.

I'd better go reread it

Congrats to you!
  16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Well done on the humble brag; couching it in the form of a question. :wink:

I'm only kidding! Congrats for being selected.
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That sounds more like it! Make sure you're not giving up any rights for other use of the file (unless you don't care).
  18. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Congratulations. That's fabulous.
  19. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    How will they know? If it is you that supplies the print they can hardly check the EXIF can they? :wink:
  20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Congratulations ... I guess living in Fresno is paying off.