Help needed: Exporting from LR when resizing results in soft jpgs

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hey guys,

So, last November I switched from the old standalone LR6 to the subscription app – LR Classic. It's the one that is a proper desktop app and installed on my MacBook Pro (Catalina), not that skinny web/mobile version.

I have also imported my LR export user presets since I spend a lot of time setting those up to my liking, but I kept noticing that when I export for forum use (I have a preset for that), the images appear soft. Not "in your face" blurry, but not as sharp as they used to be when I exported them in the old LR6, and not as sharp as the original images are.

The problem does *not* happen when export images full size, so I assume there's an issue somewhere in the resizing process. To recap:
  • Images exported for web use (so they are being resized) appear soft.
  • Images exported at full size are fine.
  • The issue happens both with my original export presets (that I imported from LR6), as well as with brand new presets that I created to see if it was an issue of compatibility. It's not.
I hope that someone might be able to point me into the right direction of how to fix it, because I've been googling this high and low, and I've already done all the suggestions that I could find and none of them helped.

Here's my setup for the export. I have always had the resolution as 72ppi for web, I don't think that's it. I also always set output sharpening to Screen and Low – I find that setting it to Standard makes it worse, not better. It's very aggressive.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 21.29.32.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here's a side by side: image in LR on the left, and the exported image on the right (it's opened via Quick View on the Mac, but even if I load it via Preview, it's being shown at Full Size – not blown up, not zoomed out), it's the actual size. I think it's very obvious that the exported version lacks the detail and sharpness of the original image.
Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 21.30.17.png

For good measure, I'm including the exported image as a separate upload here –– maybe my eyes are deceiving me and you guys will tell me it's sharp as tack 🤷🏻‍♀️ (this image isn't fully edited yet, I've just done basic stuff in LR so please forgive the very mediocre quality of it ... so far).

P9300358.jpg

Granted, this isn't the worst problem to have as full sized exports for print are still fine, but I have quite a few images I want to share here and on a travel blog that I can't get to come out sharp.

Thanks for all your help!

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This may or may not be helpful.....switch sharpening off and see if there is a positive change. It's the only difference I can see between your settings and mine.

apologies, forgot to mention that I had already tried turning it off and even setting it to the strongest sharpening setting. Turning it off makes no difference at all, turning it all the way up makes the image sharper but introduces artifacts.

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sadly, as expected, Adobe customer support was atrociously bad. Since I work in tech support myself, I am *appalled* by what Adobe considers acceptable in terms of support. Shame on them.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
They may have just changed the algorithm. I always do output sharpening myself in PS - I always found doing it automatically a bit hit-and-miss, since some images lend themselves to more output sharpening than others.

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
They may have just changed the algorithm. I always do output sharpening myself in PS - I always found doing it automatically a bit hit-and-miss, since some images lend themselves to more output sharpening than others.

Yeah, I am worried that I will have to adapt my workflow to that. I don't mind going through PS or Affinity for images that I print, but when I just quickly want to post an image to the forum here, or to my travel blog, I would hate to have to go through so much trouble :(

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom