1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help!..Need Canon FL Lens parts

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by LVL8hacker, Mar 15, 2012.

1. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Help!..Need Canon FL Lens parts**Updated FIXED!!*

Hello everyone. I have a quick question and was hoping someone could help me out. I have Canon FL 85mm f1/8. There is a brass part inside the lens barrel that guides the lens up and down when focusing. It broke :( I service my lenses all the time for cleaning, but have never had to replace a part.

Anyone know where I can buy FL lens parts?

I was able to pull a part from an old lens but it is too short and it will not allow to focus closer than 3 feet...if I try the focus barrel Will start spinning and I have to take it apart again to line everything back up.

Any info would be great. Thanks

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I have a fd 135 3.5 that is partially torn down, if I have a matching part I'd gladly send it to ya. Could you post a pic of needed piece?

3. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson

Drew....That would be great if you had one!!!

Here are some so so pics of the part. I have it sitting on my tool box with some JB weld at the moment ( probably wishful thinking at this point) resting on a little nut until it dries

IMG-0580.

IMG-0581.

IMG-0582.

IMG-0583.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I think we have a winner, shoot me you're e-mail and I'll send you a pick of the piece I have, mine is silver and I assume steel,or alimnum but looks the same or close to.

5. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    PM sent!!

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well he's still on the hunt, mine wasn't long enough(not the first time I've heard that!)

7. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    Thanks again Drew for the help. Well the JB weld did not hold up so I got the idea to take it to a local jeweler to see if he could use his stuff to weld it back together. He told me no problem so we will see how it goes (fingers crossed)

8. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Larry Anderson
    I just wanted to give an update to my part situation. Just in case some one runs into the same issue.

As stated in an earlier post, I ended up taking the part to all places, my local jeweler. I remembered them fixing a bracelet for my wife a while back. It broke in half and he was able to "put it back together" With such a small part I thought to my self, "why not"?

Long story short, I got the part back today and was able to put the lens back together. He did a real nice job on welding it back together. With such a small part it would have driven me crazy to even try to attempt this.

Here are a couple pictures.....

Here is a shot of the 85mm f/1.8 in parts

IMG-0576.

The welded/fixed part. Notice the fine weld seem on the 90* bend.

IMG-0586.

IMG-0587.

Part back in its home

IMG-0589.

My old girl put back together...ready to serve me well for many, many years to come

IMG-0593.

IMG-0592.

• Like Like x 1