1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HELP! My SD card got corrupted!

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by rich9cinti, Apr 19, 2015.

1. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    I have a 32GB SD card. I'm in the Philippines and got onto a relatives computer to upload a video and image to his computer. Files did transfer then a few fast windows screens opened and I thought I closed them.

I then tried to access my images again and the subfolders are missing. The subfolder name is there but it is now a "PriceeDownLoaAAder" file rather than a folder.

Drive properties still show over 8GB's used so I feel the images/video are still on the card but cannot access. I have attached the screenshots to this thread.

What do I need to do... I don't want to lose all of my shots that I have taken this past week.

BTW, I placed the card in my EM5 and shows no pictures symbol.

Attached Files:

2. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    My apologies for posting in the wrong section. As you can see, I'm a bit stressed out.

3. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    There is an adware called pricedownloader, not sure if it's related but you could try mounting the SD on a Mac or Linux system.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Btw, I would always set the write-protect switch before plugging my cards into a strange computer.

Barry

• Like Like x 2
  6. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Certainly looks like some kind of malware. Search google if there is any removal tool/fix for it. You could also try System Rescue CD and see if you can fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    ++1

@rich9cinti@rich9cinti - I would recommend that you be very cautious inserting that card into any other computer without first reformatting the card in your camera. In addition, I would recommend using another card for the pictures of the rest of your trip.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Thanks all for the suggestions. This definitely is one of those hindsight 20/20 things. I do have several other cards that I will use for the rest of my trip.

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    No need to worry. You can reformat that card in your EM5, and a program like Recuva will be able to find any files that weren't overwritten by the virus. So don't use it any further, don't put it into another PC or you may infect that one, wait til you get an opportunity to use Recuva or similar program after a reformat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    My wife picked up some malware a while ago that appeared to delete all her personal files. The files were all still there, but the file attributes had been set to 'hidden'. I just had to go to 'folder options' and select 'show hidden files, folders and drives'. This allowed me to see the files and remove the 'hidden' file attributes. If you still have access to the already infected PC, it might be worth trying that before you format the card, to recover any images you have, or alternatively if you can use another PC that you don't mind the risk of infecting (I have an old laptop that isn't connected to the internet and I can re-image it in just a few minutes if I need to - its handy for such things). If you are able to recover the images, I would format the card in the camera once you've done it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Thank you Harry and PeeBee. I will definitely feel better when I get home to tinker around with the card. Since I posted this thread, I've secured the corrupted card and I have my 64gb card to last me for two more weeks.

Thanks again to all. I will get back to this thread once I have fixed the issue.

12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Hope you'll get it fixed and most importantly get the files needed.