Help, my OM-D just crapped out

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by silver92b, Aug 24, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I bought my OM-D E-M5 in Oct of 2012 and pretty much loved it (got a bunch of lenses and accessories, etc.). Anyway, lately I noticed that the auto focusing was not spot on. I just have not been able to get sharp photos! Finally a couple of days ago, I noticed that the Live View was not on... I hit the "info" button and the menu went away, but no picture! I can see through the viewfinder but not in the screen. Also, if I try to shoot from the blank (black) screen, the shutter wont operate. It will work when it senses my eye on the viewfinder though... I am really upset. I cannot find my warranty registration but luckily, I found a paper copy of the original order from Amazon.
    I guess I can try contacting Olympus although I hear that their customer support is all but non-existent. I am already thinking of getting another camera body but I'm afraid of Olympus.... I wonder if I should get a Panny so I can use all my lenses and what not?
  2. MCarroll

MCarroll Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Have you tried pressing the button on the side of the viewfinder?
  3. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    :redface: I just did, thank you very much, my "broken" camera is well again :2thumbs:

However, I still need help with the focusing problem. Is there a way to decrease the size of the focus point?

Thanks so much. I guess I am in my dotage... I knew that function but totally forgot it and could not readily find a solution...
  4. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    You can change the size of the focus area. If you haven't reassigned the F2 button, a series of presses gets you will get to the magnification. Set that at 14x.
  5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I got these instructions from somewhere on the internet (not from Olympus's synthetic english owners manual)

1. Press menu - Gears - Button/Dial - Button Function - set Fn2 function to magnify.
    2. press OK button
    3. press fn2 HARD a couple times, green box should appear, press Info button 10x appears change to 14x by turning the dial next to the Fn2 button
  6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Two of my pet peeves with the camera, the changes with live view and the smaller focusing areas. But once learned they become very small annoyances.