HELP! my Oly 14-42 mkI kit lens coming apart!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by avidone, Jan 20, 2012.

1. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I just put a polarizing filter onto my kit lens (Olympus 14-42, original 40.5mm model with rotating front element) and as I was trying to unscrew it, the whole bloody front element came out... tried to line things up and screw it back in, but it does not seem to go back in place, so rather than force it, thought I would ask if anyone here has experience with this and can help me get it back together...

PLEASE do not tell me to go into the dealer, as there is no real expert dealer here in Rome and any of the shops will just tell me to send it in to the manufacturer... since it is obviously something they will not cover on warranty, my only hope is to figure how to put it back together, else I may as well get a new one.

thanks to anyone who may be able to help with this
  2. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Never mind... Looking closer I see that plastic parts are broken where the focus motor was coupled, so it seems to be a total loss. Pretty ticked off right now about just how cheaply made this lens was, with really crappo plastic parts. That I could so easily break it just trying to unscrew a filter really says something about build quality, as I did not force things at all

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Sorry to read that, avidone !
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks for sharing. Not something I think about, but I think I'll be holding the lens barrel right near the thread from now on, while putting filters on/off.
  5. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Sorry to hear about that. The DR-40 ring fell off my 14-42mm II in the last day or two. The other night I was removing a filter from my 45/1.8 and it felt like more than the filter was moving. The plastic construction of these lenses is something to be cautious about.
  6. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    well, I was trying to do just that... as I have ever since my first encounter with the rotating lens barrel vs. filter thing

I guess the extra that broke it was the rotating filter which was hard to grip on the non-rotating part

anyway, after seeing the kind of plastic parts that are inside this lens, I recommend anyone who has it to be VERY gentle with it

another vote for massive old Soviet metal-housed lenses, though I do like to have auto-focus sometimes

I leave for the big gelato fair in Rimini Sunday (which is why I was trying on a polarizer-- thinking of pics in glass cases) and I am grumpy enough about Olympus right now that I think I will take my Canon 20d with its kit zoom instead
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    That's unfortunate.

I had a similar thing happen with the $800 12-60. The plastic hood was a little tight when I was removing it, and when I applied a little more pressure, I broke the front element off (was held in by 3 plastic screws) while the hood remained attached.

I would generally refrain from regularly adding and removing anything with these lenses. They're just not sturdy enough to take the wear and tear. That said, the newer 14-42mk2 does at least do away with the rotating front ring, and so is a little sturdier.

8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    During a vacation I used polarizers on my Panny 14-45mm and 45-200mm quite intensively during a week or so, mounting and unmounting them all the time. No issues.

Must be a shock, Avidone, breaking a lens so easily :eek:.