1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

HELP! My 12-40mm won't retract

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mintchoco, Aug 8, 2015.

1. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    My lens fell face first onto the floor. The lens is fine (can autofocus, not shattered) but now it won't retract. How expensive will this be to fix? :(

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Is retracting anything like zooming, because nothing on the 12-40/2.8 lens retracts.

I would suggest going to the Olympus Canada web site and look up repairs. It's generally better to look up facts than crowd sourcing answers.

3. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    The lens was extended to 40mm when it dropped and now it won't retract to anything less?

If it's not collapsing when using the zoom ring nor when you apply a light pressure when pushing on the face of the lens, consider carefully, CAREFULLY applying a little bit of forward pressure (read: grabbing with your thumb and index) and then twist EVER SO LIGHTLY.

CAREFULLY.

It may be that there's no damaged externally or internally, but when it's fallen while fully extended there's been a slight tangential force applied and the tube has locked into place against some internal brace.

Only do this if you're absolutely confident you don't feel like you're going to wrench it and completely bork the lens. Else, contact a local camera store and see if they can have a quick look at it, or simply contact Olympus and get a guesstimate.

4. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    That's exactly the problem. I'll call repairs. Sigh. I tried applying some gentle force but it didn't work. At least the glass is intact and the lens still autofocuses. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix. It's just stick in fully extended mode and the zoom ring doesn't turn. Manual focus ring still works.

Sent from my A0001 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There are rollers that ride in cam slots in the lens to control the position of the lens groups while zooming. Impacts to the lens very often damage, or sheer, the pins the rollers are on.

6. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Any idea if this is a $200 or $500 repair? Just want to know what to expect so I don't have a heart attack when I can Olympus. My fault for letting DD knock the camera over. :(

7. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    What do they say, after 4 hours consult a doctor. :crying:

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Someone here scratched his 40-150mm Pro; iirc (in the US at least) they have a flat rate for each lens (but may add for parts if damage is extreme).

Anyways, it's probably going to be around $200(USD) if you were in the US. I can't speak for Canada.

Barry

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Do you have an accidential damage warranty from your credit card?

--Ken

10. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Okay..lens is being repaired. Total cost, in case anyone is wondering... $145.05 Canadian. Phew.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    BTW, it might be safer to keep the lens retracted when not in use; that means ~17mm on that lens.

Barry