help model photography with what i have

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rcferraris, Jul 22, 2011.

1. rcferraris

rcferraris Mu-43 Regular

i have an

olympus e-p2
    m.zuiko 14-42mm
    yonghuo ii speedlite
    remote for the speedlite
    guess i will buy an illustration board for a reflector

My Friend asked me shoot for his friend. I think Model Photography and i have no experience in doing it. anyone have an advice or backstage foto of themselves with just this few kit??

hoping it gets cloudy later. but not too much that it makes the light dull. no idea what to do if it is dull. that way i'll have natural light.

should i use the speed lite? should i point it directly to the model? is the illustration board nice enough substitution for a reflector? what if it is cloudy or sunny? etc... too many questions on my mind... going to check youtube videos for now. havent seen many model shoots with just natural light though.

advice anyone?
  2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Kinda quiet. I'll make a few basic suggestions.

• Use the long (84mm) focal length. That will cut down on perspective distortion.
    • You're right to be obsessed with the lighting. Bring an assistant or two to hold lighting devices.
    • Don't overlook the fact that the reflector doesn't have to reflect a strobe. Held just out of the camera's field of view, a reflector will often provide nice soft fill-in light all by itself.
    • A white bedsheet makes a pretty good reflector too. With two or three assistants you can even curve it around the subject.
    • A bright strobe is like a pistol, never point it at anything you are not willing to destroy. (Overstatement, of course, but frequent use of on-camera flash will probably get you consigned to one of the lower levels in Dante's photographer inferno.) At low power settings, though, a little pop-up flash can sometimes provide nice outdoor fill.
    • You may need some chatter if the model turns to wood. I use "Chin down. More. Lick your lips. Don't you feel silly?" and usually get a good smile.
    • Using a tripod IMHO is very limiting and unnecessary unless you have a very low light situation.
  3. jizelle01

Jul 29, 2011
    Move your camera back and zoom in to prevent barrel distortion. A phenomena caused by photographing a subject too closely, this is prevented by keeping the camera at least 10 feet away and zooming in for a headshot.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Get a good soft diffuser on your speedlight first, then aim it at the shadows created by the sun or other ambient light. If the sun is hitting your subject high (naturally) and from the left side of the model, then hit her with the speedlight low on the right side.

With so little light power, you will need everything you can manage to help diffuse and even out those harsh shadows from outdoor lighting. The illustration board won't do too much (at least not for me, as I'm used to using a large quantity of speedlights or high-powered studio strobes), but every little bit will count.
    If it's cloudy then great. You won't have harsh shadows to deal with, and can dial up the exposure (via wide aperture or slow shutter speed - especially since you have a tripod) to give a nice evenly exposed photo.
    If it's sunny, then you will have to maximize your lighting through speedlight and reflector to diffuse those harsh shadows and counter the sun. You should have much more powerful lighting than you have, to shoot outside on a sunny day.