1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help mis-focus

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Soapysyrie, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Soapysyrie

Soapysyrie Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    London
    Hi everyone,

I am using 20mm panasonic lens on the E-P2 and I have noticed two strange things relating to the focus.

First when I first turn the camera on if I am in any mode other than i-auto the lens refuses to focus. The camera just whirs nicely to itself, but everything is blurry. If i turn the camera onto i-auto and take a picture of a high contrast subject it sparks into life and then I can return it to the mode i want. This is no help when trying to take photos of a two year old!

Second thing is the mis-focus. When using this lens combo I quite often get a nice green box on daughter, when I take the pic I get a perfectly focused background and out of focus daughter. Face detection is on and this happens in either multi or single point focusing modes. Any clues?

Thanks in advance for your help. These issues are marring my enjoyment of this otherwise really good camera.

2. Soapysyrie

Soapysyrie Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    London
    Are these things normal or is it just me?

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Did you accidentally switch from autofocus to manual focus?

4. Soapysyrie

Soapysyrie Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    London
    Thanks,

No I checked it was on multi and I wasn't that close to her. It looked like it was going to focus on her and then didn't! That was the weird thing. The people in the background look fine.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    iAuto disables a lot of the customizations that you can make regarding camera settings. It sounds like you changed the focus mode to MF instead of S-AF, or some other AF related setting.

But if you can't figure out what setting got changed, the other option is to reset it to factory settings (see p. 92 in the manual).

DH

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Could also be the size of the focus box that is causing this. If you choose a smaller focus box area, it will be more likely to focus on what you expect.

7. Soapysyrie

Soapysyrie Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    London
    Example of mis-focus...

This image I could understand as the backgound is clearly brighter than my subject.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/77343988@N06/7087109057/" title="_3271519 (Small) by SLO Richardson, on Flickr"> 7087109057_7387664b47.jpg "500" height="375" alt="_3271519 (Small)"></a>

But this one and the one below I dont understand...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/77343988@N06/6941039228/" title="_4071560 (Small) by SLO Richardson, on Flickr"> 6941039228_0fd9d4dd28.jpg "500" height="375" alt="_4071560 (Small)"></a>
    and the pavement looks lovely...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/77343988@N06/6941039176/" title="_4151764 (Small) by SLO Richardson, on Flickr"> 6941039176_523b88ca96.jpg "500" height="375" alt="_4151764 (Small)"></a>

Thanks for any help with this.

8. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    How to resize the focus box?

9. Soapysyrie

Soapysyrie Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    London
    Hi guys can you comment on the attached images...

Thanks

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Soapysyrie,

In the second pic, the camera probably picked up the two faces. But if you look at the focus boxes in that type of situation, there will be once focus box that is yellow and the others are white. The yellow one is the primary focus. It seems possible that the primary focus box was on the man, not the girl.

In the third picture, there is not enough of the face showing for the camera to do face-detect. So it was probably not doing face detect, but just area focusing, and it picked up the ground.

IMHO, any views of faces other than fairly straight-on with all features clearly visible give iffy results with face-detect. Three-quarter or side views like in your first picture are probably not optimal. Especially if the subject is moving.

11. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    which camera?

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The first photo was probably a face detect error as well. Look at the cardboard cut-out of the two girls in the better-lit portion of the image. That would be the first thing the camera picks up on.

Personally, I don't think you should be using face detect in these situations. It's a useful function for things like a long set of portraits, but it's not appropriate for general purpose photography. Stick with single point Autofocus, as your problems are clearly related to the camera's pick of focus points.

On your E-P2, you can reduce the size of your focus box by going into the Zoom Box mode, which is the green box that shows up as you cycle through the INFO options. When you are in the zoom box, click OK to zoom in and it will then allow you to change the size of the box (I think you need to hit info again, I haven't used an E-P2 in a while). The higher the magnification, the smaller the box and AF area (14x is the smallest and most accurate). Hit OK again to zoom back out and you will then see your smaller box which happens to correspond with your AF area as long as you're using Single Point and no Face Detect.

Unfortunately, the new focus box size is only in affect when the green box is active. If you cycle out of the zoom box mode, then you will lose your small focus box. Another unfortunate thing is that the E-P2 (like the E-P1) has a much-too-large default focus area. This was thankfully rectified in later models which have a much smaller default. I think the E-P1/E-P2 was 7x, while the new models default to 10x. Also, the newer models make it MUCH easier to get to the magnification box, by giving you a dedicated Magnifier button. It's unfortunate, but you have the last model before all the new changes to this magnification system. It's a much bigger deal for manual lens users than it is for AF lens users. ;)

It is a bit of a hassle to change the focus box size on your particular model, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Try sticking with just single point S-AF and no face detect for a while, and I believe that will clear up your problem even without changing the size of your AF area. I would never trust my camera to tell me where I should be focusing... I'm supposed to tell the camera.

13. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Apart from changing the focus box size, i suggest you fix the focus box on the center. On my epl2 i think it is the left button of the dial. It should be something like three dots inside a bracket. Then choose the middle, so that when you half press, it always focuses on the middle. Recompose while half-pressed. That way, you (and not the camera) decide where to focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

14. Soapysyrie

Soapysyrie Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    London
    ~I think I've found my answer....

"In addition, the E-P2 offers a Face Detection function, capable of simultaneously locating up to eight individual faces. ..There's no advance indication of which individual face the camera will focus on, nor any way to manually select which face to prioritize. The face that was selected for AF operation is only momentarily indicated with a green frame, once AF lock has already been achieved."

So if the depth of focus is shallow I have no way of knowing which one will be out of focus!