1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me with Olympus!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Savageajc, May 1, 2015.

1. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron
    Hi everyone, thinking about getting into Olympus cameras. Ive been looking at the OM-D E-M10, but definitely open to suggestions.

Im 100% amateur, and currently have a Sony NEX 6. I thought I would like the fact that I could use old MF Minolta Lens for cheap prices, but with a baby ( 1.5yrs) I definitely need AF lol I like to shoot family pictures, a lot indoors, occasionally landscaped, and love macro.

Im not at all invested in my Sony as i only have the kit lens and a few old minolta lens which cost under $50.00 total. So I have no problem switching systems.

I like having WiFi with my nex 6, but I think the menus are a bit sluggish. I also dislike the location of the NEX 6 viewfinder.

The screen on the NEX 6 is nice, but I miss touch to focus dearly. I also am not a big fan of Sony's menu.

It also seems harder to find used E-mount lens.

Does it sound like a switch would benefit me?

Oh yea, I LOVE the look the OM-D's!

thanks!

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Welcome. I own the Nex 6 as well and recently switched systems. I own the Panasonic GX7 and received the OMD E-M10 just yesterday...

I'm personally glad I made the switch.

- I've since realized that touch screen focusing is now a must have feature for me. Simply selecting a focus point via touch is more convenient as it makes the process considerably quicker. Choosing an AF point on the Nex 6 meanwhile, requires the directional pad which make things a lot slower.

- I prefer 3:2 and 1:1 aspect ratios. With the Nex 6, square photographs aren't even an option. I also much, much prefer the size of the live view image on the LCD on my m4/3 cameras (which possess native 3:2 monitors). The image on the Nex 6 LCD is tiny in comparison.

- I actually prefer the AWB colors of my m4/3 cameras over the Nex 6's. My Nex 6 produced somewhat bluish colors. Colors from the GX7 on the other hand, looks more natural to me. I also prefer how it handles skin tones.

- AF speed in my opinion is also faster on my m4/3 bodies.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have both. They each have their respective strengths and weaknesses. I find the Sony does really well with adapted glass, especially with focal reducers such as the Lens Turbo/Speed Booster adapters. In terms of AF lenses, I think M43 has the upper hand. I've compared the Sony 20/2.8+35/1.8 to the Panasonic 14/2.5+20/1.7 and I find the 14/20 sharper overall. The E-M10 is quicker in terms of startup and menu navigation. The E-M10 EVF is smaller, but works better in low light. I do prefer the Sony 16-50 kit lens and think it gets a bad rap. There's no lens with the same range, versatility and size on the M43 side.

I also find the auto ISO to be far more intelligent with the Olympus vs the NEX-6. The A6000 improved on this over the NEX-6, but I still think Olympus implements it better (Fuji doing it the best). In terms of raw sensor performance, the aps-c images look better with a bit more tonal range and less noise. Saying that, I find the E-M10 to be a bit more versatile due to the IBIS, especially when photographing static subjects in low light. Though if shooting in decent light, the NEX-6 looks better.

I like them both for different reasons!

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What is your total budget included lenses? You might find you end up with a better kit just by sticking around and buying some Sony lenses.

5. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron
    Thank you all for the replies so far.

I used a buddies nex 5r (I think it was) and even it had touch screen, and it was definitely more convenient. Tap to focus was much easier.

I will be looking to add mainly AF lenses, so when my wife wants to use them she has no problem.

My budget is 600ish body and lens, Im actually reading the thread regarding camera choices with a 600 budget right now lol
    I plan on adding lenses slowly of course.

6. tkbslc

If you kept the Sony could you use that $600 to add more lenses to it? I mean I like m4/3 a lot, but I'd take a NEX-6 with all 3 Sigma primes over an E-M10 with a kit zoom any day!

7. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron
    Well, the 600 is including the sale of my NEX. Before I bought my nex I was considering an Olympus, but went with the NEX since thats all I could find at Best Buy. It was a bit of an impulse buy.

Whether I stick with the NEX or go Olympus I might pick up a Sigma 30 within the next month or so.

8. tkbslc

For $600, I'd probably grab that E-PL6 deal for $300 at Amazon. Then I'd grab a used/refurb 25mm f1.8 since you said you have a toddler. A Sigma 30mm f2.8 or 19mm f2.8 is a cheap alternative, but I like the f1.8 speed at that focal length. Next lens I'd add ( a little down the road) would be a 45mm f1.8 or Sigma 60mm f2.8.

9. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron
    Thanks Ill start checking that camera out

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    EM5 is on fire sale for $500 with kit lens on BHPhoto and Amazon, used ones are even cheaper - check For Sale section here.
    EM10's are about the same - and I would suggest them over EM5.
    Add 20/1.7 or 45/1.8 for about $200 and you're good to go.

11. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron
    Thanks for the info Budeny,

What do you guys think about this deal from Adorama:

Olympus E-M10 Mirrorless Interchangeable-Lens 449.99
    Olympus M. Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R Silver f/Micro 4/3 99.99
    Olympus M.zuiko Digital ED 40mm-150mm f/4-5.6 "R" 19.00

for a total of 567+tax ?

It would be hard to pass up on a 19.00 zoom lol
    I would plan on adding the sigma 30 soon.

I see the kit for 499.00 @BH but no option to add zoom.

12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The EM10 kit is on sale at Olympus right now. I think it's a fantastic camera, and am pining for mine, which is at Olympus repair for a stuck shutter (dropped onto concrete! :( !). It's ultra fast focusing, I love the evf and the eyecup, which works better with glasses as it's sizeable, and image files look terrific.

Are you planning on selling off your NEX?

• Like Like x 1
  13. tkbslc

Pretty good deal, especially for the 40-150mm! Although you can typically pick up the 14-42 zoom for less than $100 used. I think someone had one for $60 in the F/S forums. Of course new is nice.

You might just consider stretching for the 25mm f1.8 since you can get it in the bundle deal for $300. That makes it only $100 more than the Sigma 30mm and it's definitely worth it for that 1.33 stops of aperture. I know it's easy for me to spend your money, but if you were going to be spending it soon anyway.....

14. tkbslc

• Like Like x 1
  15. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron
    AWESOME! Did not even see that! Thanks! And I just sold my NEX yesterday! So Olympus I am ready! And Agent I'm glad to hear AF is fast-
    Im watching reviews on youtube saying video is not that great, as a amateur who will be recording family gatherings/my daughter etc will I notice a lack of video quality? I doubt it, but figured id ask anyway.

I like the idea of getting the 25 now, but my wife is already upset I sold my NEX and am spending money on "another" camera. I have to do things slowly to avoid a complete lashing lol

thanks again!

16. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    Agnieszka
    My partner and I have a good setup: She spends on horse accessories, I spend on camera accessories - we both feel less guilty ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  17. tkbslc

You can find sample footage on youtube or vimeo. The quality is fine. It's not so much that it is "bad", it is just that the Panasonic video is downright outstanding. So it makes it look worse in comparison. Panasonic is in the digital cinema game, though,(i.e. GH4 and decades of camcorders) and Olympus is providing more as a convenience feature. For family videos, it should be great and the built in stabilization will be beneficial.

18. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron
    Thanks again everyone for all the advice, I pulled the trigger on the em10 kit w/ 2 40-150mm lenses. One silver and one black, after I decide which color to keep I'll tradethe other in to amazon for a 60.00 gift card lol I'm pretty excited and can't wait to receive the camera!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron
    Haha I like your set up! The problem with my wife.. she doesn't like to spend money.. although I guess that's not a problem at all! =p

• Like Like x 1
  20. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron

Thanks I checked out vimeo as i didn't find much on YouTube.