1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

help me understand

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by irelach1, Jan 9, 2012.

1. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    hi im new to photography and have only had a couple of cheap point and shoot cameras now i have a epl1 and was wondering if there are any good books or websites that can help me understand the camera and stop me using auto mode ? thanks

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    The Olympus E-PL1 for Dummies book is pretty good, actually. Im also learning a lot from Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    +1 for Understanding Exposure

4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Understanding Exposure is a good book. Just have to remember the f-stop vs. DOF is different in m43 vs FF

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Understanding Exposure is a pretty good book. There's also tons of free internet resources out there. If you have a specific question, feel free to ask in our forums too.

You need to understand that with photography, it's all about light. You can't take a photo without any light.

Aperture controls how much light gets to your sensor.
    Shutter speed controls how long the sensor is exposed to your light (so in a way, it also controls how much light your sensor is getting).
    And guess what? ISO also controls how much light your sensor is getting.

Get my drift? I hope you're seeing the light. :cool:
    (Sorry, couldn't resist putting that pun in! :tongue:)

7. ShoneyMK

ShoneyMK New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2011
    I bought the Olympus EPL-1 book for dummies and it is really good, I have an EPL-2 but still there is lots that is similar functionality on the EPL-2 and really helped me understand my camera and photography, I am still reading it and there are lots of very good tips. Being a Newby to m43 from just using a point and shoot I am finding it invaluable.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    read your manual to learn the controls of the camera and then read anything that helps you understand the relationship between the 3 things that the photographer must control. Shutter speed, f stop and ISO will control the light.....the rest is just framing which you are doing already.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like the books that Scott Kelby has put out. Informative and fun to read. So often a technical book has the info but they are so dry a read that it hurts.

10. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    For $25 for a monthly subscription to Lynda.com, Ben Long's four Foundations of Photography videos are great (~12 hours in total). I also found the Aperture 3 Essential Training course to be really helpful, if you're a Mac user.

I got access to these free through work, but would happily have spent the $25.

11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Also - Brian Mosleys got a 9-part YouTube series on the E-P2 menus (pretty similar across all the Pen line up). Its pretty useful.

alertbri's Channel - YouTube

Actually, has anyone heard from Brian ?