help me understand

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by irelach1, Jan 9, 2012.

1. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    hi im new to photography and have only had a couple of cheap point and shoot cameras now i have a epl1 and was wondering if there are any good books or websites that can help me understand the camera and stop me using auto mode ? thanks
  2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    The Olympus E-PL1 for Dummies book is pretty good, actually. Im also learning a lot from Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure.
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    +1 for Understanding Exposure
  4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Understanding Exposure is a good book. Just have to remember the f-stop vs. DOF is different in m43 vs FF
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Understanding Exposure is a pretty good book. There's also tons of free internet resources out there. If you have a specific question, feel free to ask in our forums too.

You need to understand that with photography, it's all about light. You can't take a photo without any light.

Aperture controls how much light gets to your sensor.
    Shutter speed controls how long the sensor is exposed to your light (so in a way, it also controls how much light your sensor is getting).
    And guess what? ISO also controls how much light your sensor is getting.

Get my drift? I hope you're seeing the light. :cool:
    (Sorry, couldn't resist putting that pun in! :tongue:)
  7. ShoneyMK

ShoneyMK New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2011
    I bought the Olympus EPL-1 book for dummies and it is really good, I have an EPL-2 but still there is lots that is similar functionality on the EPL-2 and really helped me understand my camera and photography, I am still reading it and there are lots of very good tips. Being a Newby to m43 from just using a point and shoot I am finding it invaluable.
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    read your manual to learn the controls of the camera and then read anything that helps you understand the relationship between the 3 things that the photographer must control. Shutter speed, f stop and ISO will control the light.....the rest is just framing which you are doing already.
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like the books that Scott Kelby has put out. Informative and fun to read. So often a technical book has the info but they are so dry a read that it hurts.
  10. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    For $25 for a monthly subscription to, Ben Long's four Foundations of Photography videos are great (~12 hours in total). I also found the Aperture 3 Essential Training course to be really helpful, if you're a Mac user.

I got access to these free through work, but would happily have spent the $25.
  11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Also - Brian Mosleys got a 9-part YouTube series on the E-P2 menus (pretty similar across all the Pen line up). Its pretty useful.

alertbri's Channel - YouTube

Actually, has anyone heard from Brian ?