Help me turn my iPad2 into a mobile "darkroom"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Apple set me free during my last holiday, I left my laptop home and enjoyed traveling my iPhone5 and iPad2. The only thing I missed was the ability to process and post my vacation snaps from the road.

How can I...
    • Import image files into my iPad2?
    • Organize the images into folders?
    • Perform simple editing (cropping, sizing, and levels).
    Note that I'm shooting an Oly pl2 (sd card) in jpeg mode.
  2. Mr Moo

Mr Moo Rocket builder, collector of vintage air guitars

Sep 17, 2012
    SE Virginia
    a. Use the camera connection kit available from Apple at their web site, about $30. Images load automatically.

b. Not sure, it's been a long time since I've put any images on my iPad. Don't count on too much flexibility, tho.

c. Snapseed (NIK software recently purchased by Google), in my opinion, is all you need for the iPad for image editing. It's fast, easy to learn, and a lot of fun to use. Available on the App Store, about $15, I think. (I am not employed by NIK software, or anyone, for that matter)

Have fun with it!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I use my iPad 1 for all my photo editing.

- The iPad photo connection kit allows you to import photos from an SD Card or via your camera using the secondary USB connector kit (you get an SD card connector and USB connector in the pack). The camera connector kit will let you import Jpegs and RAWs.
    - You can organise your photos into albums via Photos. When you're in Photos you can select multiple photos from the top-right button, and then select "Add To..." to group the photos into albums.
    - I would second Snapseed, I used it for all my editing.

One thing to be aware of, on my iPad 1 I can only save photos at a reduced resolution. I think you need an iPad 3 to save at the photos original resolution.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    There's also Adobe Photoshop Touch, $9.99 I believe.
  5. ftwphoto

ftwphoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2011
    I don't recommend Adobe Photoshop Touch. It's maximum output size is 1600x1600 and it's JPEG compression is way to high. Images look pretty gross coming out of it, so unless you plan to use their cloud PSD system where you finish the file at home, I suggest skipping it.

BTW- I do lots of editing in my iPhone/iPad and I'll have a more in-depth walk through of my process later.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    If you want to edit raw files...I use pirawnha.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This is not exactly true. If you import through the camera connection kit or directly copying files, you will have the full resolution file. If you go through iTunes to sync the files to the iPad, they will be down-rezzed.

What I do is import all the photos using the camera connection kit, cull out the bad ones, leaving all the good ones on the card in their original state, and then I can tweak the iPad versions for posting on facebook etc while on the road.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I also use Snapseed, easily the best photo editor for the iPad. I've been using the CCK to download jpgs from SDHC cards (SDXC will NOT work), and it works well enough. The big problem is that over time, it gets filled up and the album is a bit ungainly.

I think there's also a limit on how large of a jpeg the 1st & 2nd gen iPads can handle.
  9. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    +1 for Snapseed, it's the best editor I've found for iPad.

I've used it on our iPad 1 and on our new iPad 3 and the retina screen is quite a bit more accurate when it comes to color than the screens on the earlier iPads so if you've got the money an iPad 3 is the way to go.

Snapseed seems to have had a recent price reduction, I bought another copy for our daughters iPad and it was only $4.99 (I seem to remember it being about $15 when I bought it for me).

It may have something to do with Google buying Nik software recently but at $4.99 it's a bargain!