1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help Me To Understand Flickr

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Harvey Melvin Richards, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Today I got maybe 10 new people following me on Flickr. Most of these people have fewer than 200 photos, but most or all of their photos have over 100 likes. How do these people find me? I don't post very often to Groups. Most of my photos are just for sharing on forums.

Is this like Facebook where people have 10,000 followers and they have never met or had a conversation with 9980 of them?

I enjoy looking at other's work, but some of these well liked photos aren't very good, and other people I follow have amazing photos with zero likes? What am I missing here?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Online communities like forums are probably the most likely places for relatively inactive Flickr users to obtain likes. I tend to use Flickr to host the photos I put here, and grab the premade link off Flickr to post here, so every photo I post has a link back to the Flickr page. I've noticed a couple of followers and a few likes after some major photo posts here, so I'm certain that's where that activity came from.

3. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I think the great photos you see with few or zero likes are the ones that are just posted . (no name, no description, no tags,) Perhaps they are not bothered and just use Flickr as storage.
    I also did a kind of test last year. I "LIKED: 50 random photos (and yes I did like them) just to see if i would get any of mine Liked in return. I didn't ! not one. I mean come on, I must have had at least one worth liking. I continue to like photos, but no longer expect to be liked back.
    Ive also uploaded total crap with zero artistic merit and had them liked !
    In short I dont really understand flickr either.

Please like my photos. I'll be your best friend ! ----------- https://www.flickr.com/photos/82557535@N08/

• Like Like x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I guess it's a case of statistics really. There are millions of Flickr users and probably tens or hundreds of millions of likes per day. Unless you've got a massive following then chances are you're only receiving a very, very, very small part of Flickr's traffic. Any variation in that proportion will cause a disproportionate increase in your stats.

Personally, the largest number of views I ever got was for this shot - I can't understand why:

Portgugese Pussy

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I use Flickr for storage back up even though I have a back up hard drive, just extra insurance:) I've come across some odd bods there and am currently blocking 16 "followers". Some people like hundreds of pictures but have nothing posted themselves. I just had someone favourite 83 of my photos..... ! I find it quite interesting to see which photos people favour, very often they aren't the ones I think are anything special myself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi Christilou, good to see you're still hanging around the u43 forums. If you remember, you sold me your 75/1.8. I've still got it - a truly fantastic lens. What are you shooting with now?; last I saw you were using Leica gear.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you use tags, sometimes people can find you searching for photos with certain lenses, etc. I have an innocuous picture of an EOS M with a certain lens on it and it has more views than any of my other photos. I guess people are doing google image searches or something.

8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I'm a sucker for dog photos, so I'm following you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I follow a lot of the regular posters here, especially if their photos are linked to their Flickr account. Some of my recent followers are not m43 shooters, so I'm not sure where they find my stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I found that my most viewed photo had been posted to a popular blog without permission when I reverse Google Image searched it - if one of your shots is more popular than typical it might be an idea to reverse search it? At the time I was happy my shot was getting noticed so just asked the blogger to include a link, which they did

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    My most viewed photo was seen 200 times, my most liked was 10 times. And my most liked dog photo was of the neighbor's annoying and neglected beast. I imagine that most of my unknown followers are collecting followers, which is fine, it's how social media is taking over. I find it interesting that if I like a few non-followers photos, I get a bunch of new followers, and not necessarily the owners of the photos that I liked.

12. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    My most viewed (and stolen) Flickr photo for some time was cargo containers (shot from a tourist boat in Seattle). It also had requests to use it legitimately, but mostly it was pirated. (It's on lots of Asian shipping websites.)

9154543163_6eddd21880_b. cargo by foxtail_1, on Flickr

But, I had several shots chosen for Flickr Explore (which gained me lots of views and more followers), plus one used by the Weather Channel — that one now has over 6,000 views.

But, a throwaway shot while I was waiting for my husband as a local music store is now my most viewed image, nearing 11,000 views. It averages 50-100 views per day because several guitar blogs feature it.

13520063973_676255156c_b. guitars by foxtail_1, on Flickr

I think I've gained most of my followers from this forum...and most people I follow are from here. When I get a notice that someone is following my Photostream, I look at their photos. If I don't like what I see, I just forget about them.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    Thanks:). I'm in the process of sending the Leica in for repair, now there's a surprise :eek: but I'm mostly using the A7r that I seem to have bonded with. I Almost bought an EP5 but the only lens I really want is that one I sold you and my money is all spent so I content myself with wandering around at mu43 instead:)

14. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Wow, 21 new followers today. I must have done something right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    You just got another view... :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    how do you reverse google search your image?

17. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    A poster earlier in this thread mentioned the Explore group on Flickr. If any of your photos get picked up by that group then of course, it all gets a bit out of control (1000s and 1000s of views, loads of like & comments). Bear that in mind if one of your posted images gets an Explore invite because one may see that as a good or bad thing.

19. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I didn't get an invitation — I just discovered that Flickr had featured my pictures in Explore (3 so far). I supposed if you have your settings on private that won't happen.

There is a group for pictures chosen for Explore, and you can be invited to add your picture to their group. I received that invitation for only 1 of the 3 pictures.

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Funnily enough with Flickr - certainly compared to Facebook - I find that my most favorited photos are actually the ones I like myself in general. I dont get a lot of favorites but I think the ratio does tend to reflect my view of the photos. (There is a bit of a bias to sunrise/sunset photos which are I am not so wild on.)

I find this the complete opposite to Facebook where sometimes I will get over 100 likes for a fairly crappy photo and a couple of likes for something I really like.

• Like Like x 2