1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me select between OMD EM1 or EM5 Mk II - (Long Exposure concern)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by darkchaos, Mar 21, 2016.

1. darkchaos

darkchaos New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2016
    Hello all,

First of all, I'm by no means a pro, i'm just a hobbyist with some experience. Currently I own OMD EM5 (with full battery grip) + Voigtlander Nokton 25mm, Olympus m.Zuiko 9-18mm. I'm more into Landscapes, Night cityscapes, some candid/street photographing and long exposures(long exposure is important).
    I decided to upgrade to OMD EM1 or EM5 MK II mainly because of better ergonomics (specially with Voigtlander Nokton lenses EM1 is much much better). I recently found a good deal on EM1 and bought it suddenly. I really love this body, the feel and the positioning of control buttons. I really am in love with it. But even before buying it, i knew that it has this long known hot pixel problem with long exposures(without the dark frame). Even EM5 MK I, is way better than EM1 in that context.

Now I'm confused and in dilemma if I should sell both of these bodies and get EM5 MK II ?(mainly because of Long Exposure, it's an important part of my photography, and I don't want to loose 3,4 minutes till it takes dark frame in blue hours, Also i don't do too much post processing).
    Has there been any solutions found for the hot pixel problem?, If yes I'd definitely love to stay with EM1. Also I'm worried to which the EM5 MK II's ergonomics are closer to? I'd like to know your opinions, solutions and advises.

Thanks in advance.

ps: One thought was to stick with EM1 and EM5(for long Exposures), but then I'm not a pro, and i don't want to carry so many gear around. Having one which is capable of both is much better option. Would there be EM1 MK II ?

pps: I'm sorry for mistakes in English.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Did you actually try some long exposures with the E-M1 to confirm that it is significantly worse than the E-M5?

3. darkchaos

darkchaos New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2016
    Thank you very much for replying. I'm new in the forum.

Yes. I took few shots with and without the noise reduction. For ex, one with 2 minutes and 50 seconds noise reduction off, it's unusable, lots of hot pixels all over the image.

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    There's a thread somewhere on this forum that shows the long exposure noise of the E-M5 II, and how much worse it is than the E-M5 I, so I don't believe going to an E-M5 II is going to be the right solution for your problem.

Honestly, I wonder if you're looking for low noise in long exposure images, a Panasonic camera that doesn't have IBIS may be your best bet, as the sensor should be able to dissipate heat better. Maybe something like a GH3 or new G7 (The GH3 is weather sealed like your Olympus cameras and has a metal body, but is slightly bigger than the E-M1. The G7 is probably more in line with the size of the E-M1, maybe a bit smaller, but has a plastic body that isn't weather sealed.)?

5. darkchaos

darkchaos New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2016
    Hello ijm5012,

Thank you for pointing me towards the thread. I will check it up.

Also thank you for pointing out this information. If I should look for a body from Panasonic, i think I will be mostly into weather sealed body. I always had this feeling when i have the camera in my hand, the properly weather sealed body has this amazing different feeling over the plastic body. But the prices are again an issue, well I can't complain. Honestly, I also don't want to move too fast to another body, because I started Olympus about a year ago. I was using an old Nikon D300, then got the used EM5. Besides, I'm a grad students, with out tight budgets etc, it's quite difficult to move around fast.

Actually, I found one review, not quite sure who it was, may be "Cameralabs", he had shot an 8 minutes exposure with EM5 MK II, and it was great. But I found the Ergonomics in EM5 MKII are not sooo much like EM1. Now, what I'm thinking is, considering the price I got my EM1 (290Euros/310$ refurbished from outlet on an auction, only the body), the best solution seems to be to stay with both EM5, and EM1. And later someday if EM1 MKII appeared, i should save for it. Sticking, with these two probably will allow me to plan better ahead and focus on enjoying the experience with whatever the landscape or cityscapes i'm going to shoot, which i think is a good opportunity to take my phototaking to another level.

edit: Or to stick for the moment with EM5 and EM1, and then later slowly move into something like GX7 body.

6. darkchaos

darkchaos New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2016
    hello ijm5012,
    your information was helpful, i checked some other comparisons here between EM1 and E-PL5. At my situation, another sound option seems to be, to sell my EM5(with it's battery grip and kit lens 12-50mm), and then buy a E-PL5 used body since they are much cheaper. Also small light weight body alone will easily allow me to have it in my camera bag always, if i needed to do long exposure. Thanks again.

7. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Hi,
    290 euro for a EM1! Where?

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The thread you are looking for is OMD Long Exposure Noise Solution (and its parent). We have had some in depth comparisons around this, and it seems that the specific Sony sensor and processing lineup in the E-M5 is still the king of long exposure among the 16 MP units. Even the big 4K GH4 can't beat it. The E-PM2 and E-PL5 with the same sensor and E-M5 Mk2 come close but for whatever reason the E-M5 is still best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sam00

Sam00 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2015
    Al Namas, Saudi Arabia
    Sammy
    If you really into this type of photography then get a used Sony A7s + voigtlander Ultron 21mm F1.8 + keep your EM5.