Help me resist GAS with Sony Nex 7

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by bobbywise, Mar 4, 2012.

1. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    The Sony NEX 7 is now available in Europe for pre-ordering, due to be delivered March 31st or earlier.

Having built up a collection of legacy lenses, it seems quite tempting to get.
    Since the Olympus OM-D will probably be available after the NEX 7 I'm starting to feel GAS for the NEX 7.

Having recently turned 40 on March 2nd, GAS becomes easily justifiable via associated BPTSS (birthday present to self syndrome).

Please give me your opinions to 'keep me in line' and to stop me from getting the NEX 7.... It's getting awfully tempting :confused:

Thanks !
  2. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

Nope, sorry, you're on your own! :) :)
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The NEX 7 is certainly a nice camera. But I don't see it as an especially useful one at this point.

Legacy wide-angle lenses on the NEX-7 have serious issues (crappy corners, color shift, odd focal lengths). Non-legacy options are all Sony A-mount and huge (might as well just get a DSLR in that case).

And for normal and telephoto lenses, you're stuck with lenses that are either large (A-mount), slow (native), or MF only (useless for moving subjects).

So on balance, I don't see the attraction. Maybe the lens issue will resolve itself in due course, but for now, it's a mess, and a good body blah lenses isn't really worth the price premium over the current good m4/3 or DSLR options.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  5. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

Which is why I pre-ordered an EM-5 instead of the NEX 7 (and I really wanted the 1.5 crop factor instead of 2x!).
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Leaving Panny and Olympus will take you back to the days when we had to clean our sensors :smile:.
  7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Buy the NEX and the OMD and then sell whichever you don't care for ;)
  8. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
  9. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    If you want it get it....but I got a question. Do you think the NEX7 will make a better photographer?

Happy B Day
    • Like Like x 1
  10. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Can't help as mine should be here on Wednesday....... BUTT
    I see an OMD in my future to replace my G1 as my 2nd body... ;-)
  11. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Thanks for all the replies :)
    Thanks for the birthday wish, and LOL new gear will NEVER make me a better photographer.

Thanks to you all my GAS has now worn off, and I've definitely settled back on the OM-D :biggrin: :2thumbs:
  12. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Good call. :bravo-009:
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    As usual, I'm late to this string. But if Bobby finds himself pining for the NEX 7 again, I would advise that he wait long enough for Sigma's 19mm and 30mm primes for NEX to hit the store shelves or Internet inventories. At the same time, keep a sharp watch out for reviews of these lenses. If they turn out to be great bargain gems at $200 each, then maybe jump at the NEX 7. That's assuming you haven't convinced yourself you need the Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 by then!

The fact is, with the exception of that Carl Zeiss glass, Sony isn't offering native-mount lenses worthy of the NEX 7 - at least not right now. I also have a desire to try out the NEX system - out of pure curiosity and a sense of adventure more than anything else. While I'm not going to spring for the NEX 7, the 5N body is going for $599 right now. I could see picking that up if the Sigma primes turn out to be good.
  14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well Happy Birthday and give yourself a present: don't buy the Nex - 7:smile:
  15. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    I've had a nex 5N for about 5 months and this is the first time I hear about issues with legacy lenses. Go on FM, alternative forum and you'll find countless threads with stunning photos taken with Leica and Zeiss lenses on Nex5 and 7. Actually I see more legacy lenses and Nex system pictures than legacy lenses and m4/3. I have a couple Leica lenses and honestly the nex is the best system for them. Once you try Sony's peak focus you are hooked.

Here is a thread that has over 200 pages, mostly Leica and Zeiss glass on hex cameras

16. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

Those are really awesome images in that thread!!! Great WB! Clean and sharp images!

Adapted lenses work well with the larger sensor I guess. The paucity of native lenses is a big obstacle though.
  17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    There is a magenta shift issue on the edges on the frame that has been documented in numerous reviews of the NEX 7 when used with wide-angle rangefinder lenses. It is specific to the 7, not any of the other models, and the Luminous Landscapes review that covers the issue even suggests using a program that can remove the magenta colour from the raw files in post processing.
  18. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    this is all funny as we early M4/3 adopters jumped into this format
    "when native lenses were scarce" as if that is a deal breaker. Before
    M4/3 I used Canon and now I'll try Sony NEX. It ain't religion... it's
    just a silly camera. Try what you want.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    To be the (usual) contrarian, you need to buy what is best for you. There is nothing wrong with owning any system; you have to decide how you want to use it and weigh the advantages against the disadvantages. For example: Soundimageplus, mu-43's resident stock photographer, seems to be using his NEX system more and more for his paid work. I don't think you could convince him to give it up and work with only micro 4/3 cameras. Maybe someone will message him and ask him to chime in here. You can always read his blog, which I have in rotation every now and again:

This is the best description of adpated lenses on the NEX system in this thread by far. The NEX cameras use microlenses to adjust and retain lens performance in the corners, and the performance issues are being exaggerated. Plus, when they say "wide angle," they really mean wide angle! You're talking about sub-15mm lenses designed for the Leica M system, which would be akin to adapting sub-12mm lenses on our cameras. Even Leica 16mm lenses (which gives a view akin to a 12mm lens on our cameras) are functioning mostly without issue, and whatever issues people ARE finding can be mitigated with post-processing.
  20. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    The funny part is people finding something wrong with a system are the ones that never owned it or can afford it. On dpreview you can find tons of threads talking about "overhyped Leica" lenses though they never tried one.