Help me pick the Best C-mount lens for µ4/3, at 25mm or less?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RDM, Dec 29, 2011.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I am looking to get a fast c-mount lens in the 20 to 25mm range with an aperture of at most 2.0, Possibly 2.8 but rather it be less. I also am looking for full sensor coverage too and i would rather not have the price be too close to a native µ4/3 lens in that focal length because then it would be pointless. My whole reasoning is to same money and size. I have seen so many lenses that people used, and there are many different prices for them. Some cheep ones cover the whole sensor but are cheep quality and not the best IQ and then there are some that are over two or three hundred dollars, with great IQ but don't cover the sensor and vignette to different degrees.

Can anyone suggest any decent compromise or middle of the rode lens to look for, and that fits my criteria and wallet?
  2. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

You might look at the Pentax 25/1.4 CCTV lens

It has slight vignetting and the typical oddball bokeh of 25mm c-mounts, but seems to offer nicer image quality than the 25mm ebay CCTV lenses. I think the rendering has a lot of favorable character, similar to some vintage cine lenses but for less money.

There is one for sale from a member in the forum right now for about $100, or you can get one brand new from B&H (use the link from this site to support

If you were looking to spend any more than that, I'd say just go all the way and get a Panasonic 20mm. There is a lot to be said for using autofocus on this the e-p3, as manual focus is not as easy as on a SLR or rangefinder camera.
  3. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The little Pentax is nice. If you are looking for a vintage one with all the pros ('interesting' bokeh, character) and cons (more risk, more expensive), I suggest looking at any of the Wollensak Raptar lenses. Not stellar in any of your categories but a decent compromise between coverage, IQ and price.

4. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Without doubt the Pentax 25mm 1.4... It's readily available, inexpensive and works like a charm. You can buy it brand new at B&H.

It was my first adapted lens and is a great place to start. A real little gem.

I agree on price... Once you get past $150 or so adapated lenses make less sense as you get closer to the price of native ones.
  5. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    Just to clarify... your heading inquires the 'best' c-mount for m4/3 in the range of 25mm, but your post seems to be regarding a good, full coverage m4/3 or compact size for little money. Which do you prefer?
    The Pentax 25mm/1.4 is a very nice lens, is affordable and quite compact, so I think you may be pleased with it, but there are better c-mount lenses available for m4/3 in the $200 range... some already modified, adapted to m4/3 and collimated for precise focus including infinity stop. Another point to note is that there is slight vignetting with the Pentax 25mm/1.4, and there are a few different models of the same lens over the decades.
    Personally, I don't go for the kit lenses. Coming from a film background I can't abide plastic housed lenses with no aperture ring and no focus marks or infinity stop. They're terribly slow anyway.
    I modify and service legacy lenses for digital stills and video cameras. Regarding modifications for m4/3, I've focussed on the Fujinon-TV range of c-mount lenses for 1" video. The 25mm I prefer is the Fujinon-TV 25mm/f1.4, which is a very nice fit on m4/3 in terms of physical proportion to the bodies, and results in just a hint of vignette after modification. When modified properly, it's as good a performer as the CZJ Tevidon 25mm/f1.4 or the Schneider Xenon 25/1.4. My Fujinon-TV 25mm/f1.4 m4/3 mod, complete with adapter, collimation and adjustment for upright marks, is in the price range of $200. If interested, you contact me through PM here or at Ekoe Camera.
    I have other mods available as well, including the Fujinon-TV 12.5mm/f1.4 modification for m4/3 sensor coverage (Flickr: Discussing ekoehler7 Fujinon-TV 12.5mm/1.4 full coverage modification in C-Mount on Micro 4/3) and fast, c-mount zooms providing excellent coverage on m4/3.
  6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    You're choices will be limited. Many/most 25mm c-mounts won't give you full coverage. The mentioned Pentax would be my top choice as well. The Fujian 25mm would be my runner up.

Why are you limited yourself to c-mount lenses? If you can live with shooting wide open, the Pentax 110 24mm is smaller and good as well. Also, the I69 is about the same size as a c-mount 25mm and is a "real" lens.
  7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Wow. I'm really impressed with the modifications you've done. I had a Fujinon 25mm f/1.4 and it vignetted pretty heavily--it looks like your modification removes almost all of that, and the lens remains acceptably sharp from edge to edge. If mine looked like that I never would have sold it!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

thanks for this,
    Yea I had considered the pentax110 for a long time, but yea the lack of aperture was a deal breaker.

First, too i want to say thank you for all your input and recommendations, including your input ekoe, on the Fujinon-TV 25mm/f1.4. I seen that link before and was thinking about that but i don't want to have to modify another lens at this time. I just want to plug and play :D
    And for everyone, Just to clarify... My heading inquires the 'best' c-mount for m4/3 for me in the range of 25mm, And in my post I then go on to explain the requirements for me. I'm sorry if the original title and statement seamed unclear to anyone.
    So I think I am going with the Pentax/Cosmicar 25mm 1.4 . It appears to be the preferable one to most,, just above the Japanese made Fujinon. Offering a nice balance in quality, cost and coverage quite nicely. I am just not sure which version is the best, I like the look of the old one, silver and just titled Cosmicar, but the new Pentax/Cosmicar probably has better coatings and or better quality glass too, I'm not sure tho, just a guess.