help me pick a set-up for a friend's wedding reception!

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by chris.j.sorensen, Sep 22, 2011.

1. chris.j.sorensen

chris.j.sorensen Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2010
    Freehold, NJ
    hey guys! i'm going to rent some equipment for a reception in NYC. i already know all of the shortcomings of the 4/3 sensors having owned a 420, 620, and currently an e-p1. so the deal is that it's a super laid back event- my friend has seen my work and digs the "non-structured" style of my photography (photojournalistic?). i actually prefer primes and manual focus as having aperture and focus rings feels much more comfortable for me. anyway, here are the two options i'm trying to decide on:

(feel free to offer other suggestions about lenses)

package #1

e-p1 (own)
    zuiko 12mm (rent)
    zuiko 14-42 (own)... probably wouldn't get used.

e-p2 w/ evf (rent)
    voigtlander 25mm (rent)
    rokkor 50mm (own)

dig the idea of the evf for manual focus. have missed a few with the rokkor/ep1 combo in the past.

package #2

e-p1 (own)
    panny 20mm (rent)
    zuiko 14-42 (own)... staying in the bag(?)

e-p3 w/o evf (rent)
    zuiko 12mm (rent)
    rokkor 50mm (own)

would love to use the e-p3 but am leary of trying to tackle the voigtlander without an evf.

package #1 comes in @ $230
    package #2 comes in @ $185
    (hoping to keep it close to the $200 mark.)
    adding the voigtlander to package #2 and taking away the panny 20 would bring me in @ $205 but would lose the autofocus of the panny and would have me trying to manual focus the voigt. & rokkor without an evf... is it not that bad with the e-p3's new screen? if so, package #3 would be:

e-p1 with the 12mm and 14-42mm (should i just stop listing this one?)
    e-p3 with the voigt. 25mm and rokkor 50mm coming in @ $205.

thanks in advance guys!:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:
  2. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    If the reception is going to be inside, you are going to need the fastest glass you can get. I would say either the Panasonic 20 f1.7 or the new PL 25 f1.4 would be ideal. Of course the brand new Olympus 45 f1.8 would be great too, but I don't think you'll be able to get a hold of that one.
    I'd recommend:
    E-P1 (own)
    Zuiko 12mm (rent)

E-P2 w/ evf (rent)
    Panasonic 20 (or 25) (rent)
    Rokkor 50 (own)

I don't know what prices you are getting but that should fit in around your budget?
    That gives you a fast 12, 20 (or 25), and 50. Plus you get the evf for manual focus with the 50. The only other thing you might need is a fill/bounce flash.
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The last wedding reception I did, the 20 was perfect because you're usually taking group portraits and with the 45, I had to stand so far back, someone eventually got in the way.

That said, a 1 day rental is going to put you half of the way to buying this wonderful lens, my recommendation would be find a way to save up the extra to just buy it.

Skip the EVF, the screen will work fine and be more social.
  4. chris.j.sorensen

Feb 5, 2010
    Freehold, NJ
    Thanks for the info guys. It's looking like I'm leaning towards package #2. I think the voigtlander 25 0.95 isn't essential, so I'm going to stick with the 20mm 1.7 on the e-p1 and rent the e-p3 with the 12mm with the option of mounting the 50mm rokkor on this body. All prices are for a five day rental, so it seems pretty reasonably priced. List below is for 5 day rental:

E-p2 with evf $82.50
    E-p3 without evf $55.50
    12mm 2.0 $51.75
    Voigtlander 25mm 0.95 $50.25
    Panny 20mm 1.7 $31.50
    Panny 45mm 2.8 $48.00
    Panny 7-14mm 4.0 $54.75
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Rent a flash as well.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is the best combination. It gives you an AF lens for your E-P1, which is also a wide angle to supplement what you won't have with your manual focus lenses. Then the E-P2 with viewfinder will be the best to use with the manual focus lenses, and for that your 50mm Rokkor and Voigtlander 25mm Nokton would definitely be the best choices. You now have a 12mm, 25mm, and 50mm... a 12mm wide angle permanently mounted on one body with AF, and two of the best portrait lenses of body and headshot lengths, which you can use with the EVF.

I also go with Gordon on renting a flash. However, don't grab a flash the day of if you're not used to using it. If you're going to do that without getting used to the flash, then you may be better off just using ambient light with your good fast primes (especially with lenses like the f/0.95 Nokton).
  7. chris.j.sorensen

Feb 5, 2010
    Freehold, NJ
    Thanks for the input guys. I have the fl-14 that came with my e-p1, but never use it due to it's lack of bounce capabilities. I have owned an fl-36r & an fl-50r in the past, but sold them when I sold my "full size" 4/3 equipment. The 50 felt too big on the e620, the 36 felt comfortable on the 620, a little big on the 420, and uncomfortably huge on the e-p1. I spoke with lens today and they said that they should be offering the e-p3 with the evf by the end of next week, so I'll be renting that with the 12mm and 25mm- which also means that I will have the onboard flash should the sith hit the fan, as well as the fl14. Seems like things are getting narrowed down now. Any other ideas/ advice/opinions? Thanks again- you guys are the best! :2thumbs::thumbup::2thumbs::thumbup::2thumbs: