Help me pick a couple lenses for my new e-pm1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by enVmyIX, Dec 10, 2011.

1. enVmyIX

enVmyIX New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2011
    I recently ordered a new e-pm1 from amazon (still on its way) and since then received a nice bonus at work :-D

I originally wanted to get the oly 45mm and panny 20mm, but now that I have some extra cash coming my way I am not sure if I want the panny 20mm after reading about its poor low light performance. I really like the compact-ness of the 20mm, but now I'm wondering if I should get the PL 25mm instead...

I am for sure going to pick up the oly 45mm, but which wide-ish angle lens should I get? I would like to have a lens that performs well in low light situations, but to be honest, this will be my first "proper" camera - I'm coming from a history of sub par p&s cameras, so I am sure that I will not notice slight imperfections in any of the lenses that I am considering...

So lets hear your recommendations!
  2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I use the 20 on my e p3 and am very happy with the results, and I like the fov.
    I also have the 12, and it has become my favorite lens for most of what I like to shoot. I like the fact that it's metal and the pull back manual focus feature.
    The images it produces are consitently better than other lenses I have used.
  3. enVmyIX

enVmyIX New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2011
    Thank you for your input, but since i would like to get at least 2 prime lenses, the oly 12mm is out of my budget. Maybe something to think about in the future though.
  4. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    After a few lenses, I now have settled for the 14mm, the 25mm and 45mm with my e-PL3 and am very happy with those. The compactness of the 20mm is a plus though and the 20 and 45 are a good combo too.. I always have some kind of small bag for my camera so size is not a massive issue and the 25mm is a joy to use (though be aware of the "rattlesnake" noise issue)The 14mm is a nice lens, though not as sharp as the 20mm it's still better than the kit lens I think, plus if focuses closer. Take a look at the native lens threads here on the forum, it really helped me decide. Enjoy!
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For a similar price point I think you should also consider the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 for more of a difference in perspective over the Leica 25mm Summilux when paired with the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8.

The 25mm + 50mm pairs do work as well though, and for that I would definitely get the Leica 25mm Summilux over the Lumix 20mm/1.7.
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Shoot with the kit lens for a couple of weeks so you can get a better understanding of what you want :smile:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    I've been using the e-pm1 for two weeks with the Olympus 12 & 45mm and the Panasonic 20mm. They are all great performers, but so far my favourite is the 12mm - a very different perspective on the world. Also build quality wise it is in a different league. It is very wide angle though - so may not suit everyday.

The 20mm is very competent and a flexible length, but the focus is a bit slower. The camera does feel beautifully balanced in the hand. If I was going somewhere and could only take one lens, this is the one. Love f1.7 for the ability to shoot in almost total darkness.

The 45mm is a very good lens, quick to focus and renders scenes beautifully. It's great for portraits of the cat, but as yet I've not really had a chance to exploit it fully. Went out today with the intention of shooting it, and it only, but actually changed to the 20 fairly quickly, as it was just a touch too long for the location. Also found I needed to lock focus to the centre spot, which is perhaps no bad thing.

Images to follow.
  8. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    The Panny 20mm f/1.7 works fine in low light. Where did you hear otherwise?
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I love the 20/1.7 and think if you bought the EPM1 for size, it would be a waste to throw that away by attaching the giant PL25.

X2 on 20/1.7 in low light
  10. enVmyIX

enVmyIX New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2011
    There is a thread here that I read it in with multiple members stating that it hunts for focus without success at times. I'm on my phone and can't find the link right now.

Sent from my mobile.
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've never had that problem. It's not the fastest lens to focus and a bit noisy (as is the PL25) but I've never had it hunt excessively for focus. I should think the focus illuminator on the E-PM1 would make low light focusing that much better as well.
  12. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I have the E-PM1 and the oly 45 & pan 20. They are both great lenses, but I use the 20 about 90% of the time. It is a very versitile lens, and works very well in low light. Yes, in almost total darkness I have experienced slow AF performance, but unless it's very dark and you're shooting a moving target I doubt this will be an issue. Try shooting the kit lens at 20mm and 25mm and see what you like for field of view. I find that if anything, I wish the 20 was a hair wider.
  13. enVmyIX

enVmyIX New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the valuable input, sounds like the 20mm will be just fine for me for the time being :-D
  14. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    20/1.7 and 45/1.8 are both beatiful lenses of great value, but each for its own purpose. If you are ever considering portraits, 45/1.8 is a must have I think. Currently I even use it more than... pannycake? :rolleyes: (russians call it "panablin"):biggrin:.
  15. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    The 20 would be my first choice.
    I have had no issues with it.
    The 12 was a bit of a splurge but I found one slightly used, couldn't pass it up, and glad I did.