1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me justify my upgrade to the OMD from EPL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mintchoco, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I have an EPL1 which has served me well. But one thing that has really bothered me is the slow autofocus speeds. I've managed to snag the OMD on a deal, so wondering if that's the best upgrade option for me vs. something like the EPL5 which is quite a bit cheaper. I'm thinking to sell my VF2 to help offset some of the cost. How much can i get for my EPL1 body?

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    You're not going to be able to get a lot for the EPL1 body... At the same time, the difference in controls between the EM-5 and the E-PL5 is massive. It's a huge improvement over all PENs.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you use the hot shoe for flash and other things, the E-M5 is the way to go. If not, save a couple bucks and get an E-PL5.

4. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    If you use the VF2 on the E-PL1 often, then I think the E-M5 is a great way to go. If you only use it occasionally, and you like the ergonomics of the E-PL1, then the E-PL5 may suite you better.

The E-M5 has a number of improvements over the PENs, however if it does come down to cost, and you're happy with your E-PL1 except for the AF, then you'll likely love the E-PL5.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    If you like to control the camera manually (ie you don't just shoot in auto) then the E-M5 is far superior in terms of controls to the E-PL5

The IBIS in the E-M5 is vastly better giving more reliable sharpness and low light performance. Also much nicer looking video.
    (i'm not even sure if the PENs use their IBIS during video, but rather a software alternative that is less effective still)

The OMD can use accessories with out the loss of using a viewfinder.

The OMD is weather resistant.

• Like Like x 1
  6. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    To me, IBIS alone was a good enough feature to upgrade. It's just changed the way I think about low light photography :).

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    OK: The OMD-EM-5 is the best digital camera I've ever owned. (Truth in advertising: I've never owned a full frame) Focus is fast, low light performance is excellent, image stabilization is best in class. It's easy to use on manual mode, if you are into that (I am), and the best m4/3 lenses, coupled with the sensor in the E-M5 produce stunning resolution.

If you don't feel justified by that, let me know. There's more, but that's the gist of it.

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Now, that should be convincing enough! :wink: I also really appreciate the abilities of the 5 axis IBIS which is a fair bit better than my E30 (apart from much higher ISO abilities in the E-M5).

• Like Like x 1
  9. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Nice summary.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    E-PL5 or OM-D will be a huge upgrade from the E-PL1. You also have a VF-2.

My own "2 cents" here is to get the E-PL5 and get some glass with difference saved from getting an OM-D

Of course I am a bit "biased"....:biggrin:

8148538427_1666b0207f_z.
    Silver Olympus E-PL5 With VF-2 & Leica 25mm ƒ1.4 DG Summilux by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  11. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

You probably won't get enough for your E-PL1 and VF-2 to make them worth selling. Keep them for backup. Myself, I'm thinking of having my E-PL1 converted to infra-red.

12. I switched my Olympus body from an E-PL1 to an E-M5 laste year. It seems like such a small thing, but something as simple as having exposure compensation permanently assigned to a second dial in 'A' mode and being able to focus, recompose if necessary, and still be able to fine-tune the exposure is an extremely useful feature to me. My other functional issue with the E-PL5 is the size of the rear screen compared to the E-M5.

Features like the 5-axis IBIS, eye-level viewfinder, and weatherproofing certainly explain the price difference between the two cameras, but it is the aforementioned functional differences that really help to justify the extra expense of the E-M5 for me.

13. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Oh yeah! I forgot one of the biggest reasons I would always prefer the OMD.

The OMD Screen ratio is 4/3 rather than the 16/9 of the E-PL5. So if you shoot in 4/3 on the PL5 you have a rather small viewing area with black lines on either side of the screen. I would hate that.

14. RogerAdams

RogerAdams Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2012
    I upgraded to an EPL5 body from an EPL1 just this week. I know the dilemma you are going through. The OMD was the camera I wanted but the EPL5 is the price I can afford (got the body for $550 from Olympus Canada). I don't regret it one bit.

I still have my VF-3 which I love but I'm having a lot fun with the touch screen. But the biggest surprise I've found is the reason you want the upgrade: the auto focus is so fast! The only lens I have is the Oly 17mm 2.8, which focuses like poo and I was amazed how much faster it focuses on the EPL5 body. I was at a point with my EPL1 where I just kept it on manual focus and used my ebay legacy lenses. Now, I love my Oly 17mm again!

My advice is to head to the camera shop and get a feel for them. I think the decision will be so clear when you have them in your hand.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ross the fiddler

I might seem a bit pedantic here, but the OM-D screen is actually 3:2 & crops the sides for 4:3 ratio use & the top & bottom for 16:9 ratio (when in video etc.), but info, super control panel etc. utilises the whole screen.

16. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Ah OK Thanks. I would still rather the 3:2 ratio screen than the one on the E-PL5.

17. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks everyone. I knew most of the technical differences, but the screen ratio was something I didn't know about. I went for the OMD because I'm thinking that it'll have it's collector's appeal even after the technology is stale vs something like the epl5.

I guess I'll keep the epl1 since its not worth selling and consider what to do with the vf2.

Question about the 12-50mm, is it worth keeping? If not, what's the going market rate? I also have the 14, 20, 45, and 14-150. Thanks.

18. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Despite my love for the E-M5, it should be noted in support of the E-PL5 that it contains the same sensor, and the VF2 is essentially the same as the built-in VF in the E-M5.

With the EPL5 you'll miss the 5 axis stabilization and weather sealing, and some of the controls that I personally like for manual shooting, i.e. the dual dials. Short of that, with the same lens on board you should get the exact same image quality out of them. For me the controls alone are worth the price, but if the few things mentioned aren't important to the way you shoot, save the money. I find the 5 axis stabilizer great in low light, but regular Olympus stabilization is not bad, and there are time-honored techniques for shooting with slow shutter speeds. I couldn't care less about weather sealing. I'm over 60 and know by now to get in out of the rain, preferably with a nice cup of strong black coffee.

But when I handled the E-M5 for the first time, it was, for me, a matter of, "This is the camera I've been waiting for." I really do love it.

19. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Keep the EPL1 as a backup. I still use my E-P2 with the VF2, and the EPL1 is a bit more up to date. I'd keep the VF2 unless you're sure you don't need it. I figure some day I'll get that Leica X2 that I want, and the VF2 is the same unit at the Leica that sells for a whole lot more. Meantime, like I said, it works on my backup E-P2, as it will on your EPL1.

I like the 12-50 as an option. If you don't have macro capability with any other lens, it's worth having around. But you do have a nice group of primes, so if you don't do macro at all maybe you don't need it. It's the only thing I have that will go as wide as 12mm, and I've found that, while I don't shoot that FL often, it's nice to have something that can get there when I do.

20. Ross the fiddler

The 12-50 is good as an all round lens. Close ups & wide angle (12mm) produce nice images & the 50mm end is still quite usable but getting a little softer. It's added (optional use) motor driven zoom is also nice for video & then to top it off, it is also weather sealed (splash proof). It's still a good lens to have around.