1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me fix my Minolta MD 135mm/2.8?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by timothysoong, Jan 8, 2012.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I just bought a Minolta MD 135/2.8 lens today from some online local store for a cheap price. After I received my lens I tried fiddling around with it and when I pushes the hood forward trying to try taking a shoot with the hood.

The ring in front of the lens came off. Not sure what its called but the ring is used for locking the lens cap. And now I was trying to screw them back on, I realized it doesn't fit! And I realized the ring that came on top of the lens is of 55mm diameter as the lens filter that came with it says 55mm, but the lens cap is 57mm(which is lose).

I think I got scam on this one, but can anyone try to help me fix it? or where should I buy the parts?

Here are the pictures,
    JBAkx.jpg
    dWt2H.jpg

The ring I placed on top of the second picture is the ring that came off.

Thanks

2. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    And I cant seem to screw the ring back on. Cause I think the ring is broken. =(

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I do not have that ring on my lens, the hood should slide out smoothly. From your second pic it looks like it might be a step up ring? Try taking off whatever that threaded part is.

4. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hmm.. really? But if the ring slides out smoothly and if thats a step up ring, then the lens cap should work but the thing is the lens cap doesn't work. And the clip behind the lens cap couldn't cling onto anything since the lens curves outwards making the lens cap impossible to cover. :confused:

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Looks indeed if something is missing on the front. You can look here to see how it should look like.

6. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Yeah indeed. And I got a 57mm lens cap instead of a 55mm, which is pretty loose. And does the lens hood really slide out smoothly? Or is the lens hood not removable? Yup, I talked to the seller and he wanted me to sent it to a nearest local lens store for repair and he's willing to pay for the repair cost. :D

7. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Upon closer inspection it looks like your hood is completely missing in the photo? Did the entire hood come off? If so then that ring might be the stop that prevents the hood from sliding off. Just my guess.

Also I have a 57mm lens cap as well, no need to worry. The 55mm diameter is for the inside thread, since the cap covers the outside of the lens it has to be of a larger diameter.

• Like Like x 1
  8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Minolta lens caps that state "57mm" inside fit on a lens with 55mm filter thread, I have loads of those. I guess the 57mm refers to the outer diameter on which they're meant to fit. If all is well the lens hood should slide out smoothly with just a bit of friction to keep it in place; there is a stop to prevent it to come off.

If the seller offers a repair I'd take the offer immediately. If you're missing a part you'll most likely be paying more for that than for another lens, if the parts are available at all. Maybe you can negotiate a refund? You could just buy another one then, these lenses are not very rare.

• Like Like x 1
  9. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I sent the lens back to the seller for repair and the seller said there's another ring which is missing. And he claims that it was fine when he sold it and I was the one who misplaced the ring and it couldn't be fixed and wanted to sent back the unfixed lens to me. And he's not willing to give a refund. *sigh* I was scammed then. :frown:

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

OK , lots of despair happening; Don't worry tho, I am here now.
    I have almost exclusively used Minolta manual focus lenses and Minolta gear for a long time now. I don't use the film bodies too much any more but i still use the lenses all the time. Constantly buying, Fixing, cleaning and sometimes re selling lenses. lol

Your photos are fine, and I can see clearly what is going on here.
    Don't touch that threaded part you see in the 1st photo , that is where the filter ring of your camera screws on to. NO not a filter but the ring on the camera that a filter screws onto . Yes that is what keeps the hood in place when you slide it forward. Yours must have been loose or stripped and when you slid the hood forward too hard it fell off. Now you say you tried to screw it back on and it wont go, so I'm guessing it is stripped now. I don't know what other ring there is that would be missing. I looked at mine and it unscrewed fine and was just one ring. I think.. Well you will need a new filter ring. It is used to attach to the camera and to have a filter attach to it. That lens if its the regular Minolta MD, only came with a Clip on cap. The Minolta MD Celtic came with a press on plastic cap. Older ones came with a metal press on.
    Anyway Maybe you can find one or a lens for parts somewhere.
    However, there is one more thing you can try , it may look kinda tacky tho. See if you can screw a clear skylight filter, upside down onto the threaded part of the lens. Slide the hood back on 1st . It may work if you can find a filter the same size. I would look for a cheep plastic framed one in case the thread pitch is different.
    Darn i wish i had this in-front of me , I'm pretty good at fixing things like this , I do not fancy myself a lens expert tho, and know what i can and cannot fix..lol

Ether way Please Please tell us the name of this Site you got this lens from so we know to stay away and not buy from this seller.

• Like Like x 1
  11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Wow, that sucks :frown:. Apparently not all sellers care about making customers happy.

12. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Yeah well, I don't know what to do with the lens now, of course I can still take photos with it but its just the lens cap wont work anymore, without the lens cap I'd get scratches on the lens. :frown:

13. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Well can you help me locate where I could buy these filter ring? :\

Tried it, doesn't work.

Its a chinese online buy&sell(like ebay), dont think anyone here will go and buy it from there. ÅS¤Ñ©ç½æ--²³æ¡B¦nª±¡B§K¶O¡B¦w¥þ

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yea I can keep my eye out for a lens for parts. Its Ironic that i seen one with badly scratched elements sell for 10 dollars back in November. I contemplated getting it for parts, for just in-case, but since i really did not need it so i passed.
    I was thinking of trying to turn plastic ring for you but i don't have access to the lathe anymore. I don't know how much it would cost for you to have a machine shop do it. Do you have a set of calipers and can you measure the OD of the threads on the barrel and then the inside diameter of the part that should screw onto it.
    Hey where are you and this lens located?
    That's a Shame. Sorry , i thought it might.

OK, Good to know.

15. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Sadly, i dont have a set of caliper to measure the diameter part on the screw. And I'm at Taipei, Taiwan(asia). :mad:

16. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    YAY! I managed to get them fixed by adding some baby oil onto the inside thread of the filter ring and it starts to screw in fine. =D

17. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I see you've already found a solution, but for future info (and folks who might sometime encounter a similar need), OpTech USA makes a gadget called a "hood hat" that can help. I've been using them on several lenses with screw-on hoods. A pretty spiffy invention because you place it outside the lens hood. Could easily give some protection to a hoodless lens, too.

You can find 'em at OP/TECH USA Hood Hat

18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

That's great. I had a feeling this whole time that there was just some sort of problem with the threads. Its a very fine pitch. I'm glad you figured it out. That also says a lot for the Supposed 'Technician' that said he couldn't fix it because parts were missing.
    I Often also fine that when it comes to old equipment i know more than most technicians nowadays. Its Sad but not only do they not make em like they use to , but they cant fix em like they use to eather..lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Yup its a bit weird that I'd be able to fixed the lens myself where a professional who fixed lens for a living like him couldn't do so. :redface:

20. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Well let's see some pics! :wink: