Help Me Find *This* Bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by buzzrobot, Sep 9, 2015.

1. buzzrobot

buzzrobot Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    I'm looking, unsuccessfully, for a shoulder bag that meets these requirements:

1. Room for on EM-1 with the 12-40 zoom attached;
    2. Room for the 17/1.8 (not an issue, of course)
    3. Well-padded compartments that can be realigned.
    4. Zippers-only (No velcro, no dangling hooks and such)
    5. Room, preferably padded, for an 9-inch by 6-inch tablet.
    6. A bit of room for extra batteries and such.

Smaller is much better than larger. It's never going to be used to carry more than I've listed above.

Number 5 has been the sticking point.

The strap needs to be long enough so the bag rests at my hip. I'm 6'4". (A removable strap is OK.)

So far, I've found only a couple boutique of bags made for the Leica market. They're priced around $300. That's too much, but I'm willing to spend to get what I need.
  2. Gary_Berg

Gary_Berg Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    You might look at the Thinktank Photo Mirrorless Mover series. I just picked up a 30i model, it is probably larger than you need. I'm not sure if the padding is what you want.

Much cheaper, three 30i (largest) is only $70.
  3. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Think Tank just released the Mirrorless Mover 25i yesterday! It's $65. It's the perfect in-between size IMO, and has a tablet pocket (unlike the MM 20).

I have one shipping to me right now. :)

Here's a repost of what I posted earlier in the Bags and more bags thread:

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Tenba Switch 8 or 10?
  5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Think Tank Retrospective 7?
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
  7. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    The Thinktank Mirror less 30i fits my Ipad Air just fine. And it often goes out with me shooting.
  8. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I have both the MM 20 and MM 30i. The 30i is larger than you need, but has a different design than either the 20 or 25i. The 30i zips along the top sides and back, opening the lid so it hinges away from you. This helps protect against someone opening the bag without your knowledge, and helps resist the unzipped bag accidentally potentially tipping and dumping the contents if you use the handle to pick it up. The 20 and 25i lids open against your body, displaying the bag contents to the world.
    ThinkTank's shoulder straps for the smaller bags are too short. The good thing is that you can clip the shoulder strap of your choice on the bag. The 30i shoulder strap is pretty good, with a good shoulder pad. The best thing about all 3 of these bags is that you can slip a tactical belt through the back sleeve and wear it around your waist to get away from the sore shoulder syndrome, though this is more important for those of us with heavier gear being hauled around for long durations.
  9. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    It would be hard to make an iPad-capable bag smaller than the 30i. The 25i only carries an iPad Mini.
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Buzzrobot, you're right. Easy to find small bags to do what you want except for no. 5, which usually requires a slightly larger bag. I have a Tenba DNA 8 which would do all you require (Velcro can be covered up, has magnetic clasps), but it doesn't have enough room for a regular sized iPad. Would have to go with a DNA 11 which is considerably larger. Dunno, maybe the DNA 8 does have enough room to squeeze in a naked iPad Air, but I don't have one to test it with! :)
  11. Rum Maximus

Rum Maximus Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2013
    LV, NV
    To go off what Wisertime suggested..... I've been using a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack with an Ape Case ACQB35 insert.

It easily holds my E-M10 w/ the Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8 mounted, I can carry multiple primes as well (usually the Bower 7.5mm fisheye, Oly 12mm, Oly 45mm, and a manual focus prime), Oly FL-600R in the side pocket, plenty of spare batteries & a couple memory cards, etc.

The only point I am not 100% certain on is whether the rear pouch would hold a tablet of the dimensions you're wanting. I just did a test-fit of my Nook Tablet (e-reader) that is supposedly 8"x5"x1/2" and it fits snugly. I suspect a tablet like you're describing would barely fit depending on what kind of case you had it in.

Hope this helps.
  12. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Worth pointing out that one can simply wear the bag facing toward the body in questionable environments, enabling the lid to open away from your body. Also, realistically if you're playing with camera stuff in public, thieves will notice whether the bag faces you or not.

Just my opinion.
  13. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    It's not that simple if you're wearing it as a belt pack - it only has the sleeve for the belt on one face. flipping it so the front is against your body would just crush the contents against you. As a shoulder slung bag, I've never had security concerns with either model. I wear it slung across my body with the bag under my arm.
    If someone wants to rip me off for my equipment, I still have a really fast sprint, plus used to train both police and civilians in self defense.
  14. Fortazer

Fortazer New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2015
    +1 for Think Tank. I have my EM1 with 12-40mm pro lens + 60mm macro in a Turnstyle 5. Pretty nifty little bag. Originally bought it for my EM10 for which it had plenty of extra space. EM1 could do with the next size up especially if you want to carry a tablet too. Just food for thought...
  15. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Crumpler Mild Enthusiast M. No flaps, no dangling hooks, zippers only, and padded space for an iPad.

The Large size can carry up to 11" MBA:

The problem is, the Large size was on sale and sold out everywhere.
  16. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I liked the look of the Turnstyles too. I think the Turnstyle 10 will fit a regular size iPad.
    These are the tablet pocket dimensions. Small tablet compartment: 6.3” x 8.7” x 0.4” (16 x 22 x 1 cm)

And, if one is concerned about theft, instead of wearing it across your back, I suppose you could wear it across your chest. It may look a bit odd, but nobody's going to get to it there. :)
  17. Yelkrub

Yelkrub Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2013
    Cheshire, U.K.
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Let me guess. Artisan&Artist Good stuff.. expensive as you have discovered.

If that's what you were looking at, you can do a search under "Black Label" bag and they have similar/same versions for slightly cheaper.

They have a selection of bags that are designed around zippers

I've had my eye on the image smith for a while but never pulled the trigger.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  19. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I have this bag at home:

The only thing that I was unsure about is your requirement for no velcro, which I assume you mean on the outside. The inside has velcro attached dividers and a little flap to enclose some things (I put batteries and chargers in there). I am sure it can carry a Kindle Fire in the little pouch inside, but I haven't tried to put a larger tablet in it. I paid around $50 for it at BestBuy. I guess you can probably get it cheaper online.

I haven't used this bag in a while, but I used to carry it with a E-PM2 with kit lens attached, plus 2-3 various lenses (usually adapted vintage lenses), a full-sized speedlite, and extra batteries. When I upgraded to the GX7, I also had no problems fitting it in the bag, but it got a little tight trying to carry two bodies and a flash. I don't believe that you would have any trouble with the equipment you listed. The bag wears like a backpack, but is quite small. I have packed it inside of a small carry-on bag many times, along with clothing and other things for a trip.

EDIT - Sorry, I just understood that you wanted a shoulder bag, which this is not.