1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help me find an additional camera to GH2

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by lillefot, Jun 19, 2011.

1. lillefot

lillefot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Hello,

I have a GF1 and a GH2 with quite a few native µ4/3-lenses. The GF1 see no use, as I tend to take pictures on ISO 1600: streets in the evening and indoor social gathering pics. The GH2 has spoilt me, and I use it a lot every day. But I'd really want a smaller camera too, to carry in my bag always.

So the requirements are really quite simple:
    - good IQ with low light capabilities at least on level with GH2
    - as small as possible
    - no new lens system

Viewfinder, buttons or lack thereof, flash, video etc are not important.

I've narrowed it down to three:
    - Panasonic G3
    - Fuji X100
    - Olympus PEN P3

I'm willing to wait a bit, but not too long. Summertime is the time of year I shoot the most, even if I guess the GF1 would work too on sunny days.

Is it correct that neither the GF2, the GF3 nor the PL2 have much better high ISO performance that the GF1?

Any rumours whether the P3 will get a new sensor?

Would the Leica X1 also fit the requirements (assuming I could find one used :smile: )?

Or are the X1 and X100 so difficult to handle that they're not recommended for amateurs like me?

Any advice, or will all three do the job and I should just go for the one quickest available?

2. brunerww

brunerww  

Mar 5, 2011
    Lille,

If high ISO performance and lens compatibility are your criteria, I recommend the G3.

According to dxomark via 43rumors.com, the G3 beats the GH2 at high ISOs.

I think you'll miss your interchangeable lenses if you get the Fuji -- and you'll miss a lot of pictures either waiting for the P3 or hoping to find an X1.

Good luck,

Bill

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The GF-1 and GF-2 both have noisy images at high ISO but the E-PL2 is on a compltely different level and if the pre-production sample images of the GF-3 are to be believed, it is as well. The E-PL2 performance is just as good but different from the GH-2. Both excel in different areas, and I would be wrong to call one better or worse, as their qualities are just different. The GF-3 uses the old 12MP sensor but with a new processing engine. It's performance appears to be quite different from the old GF cameras but it is too early to know for sure. The G3 is also a good choice though, with similar performance to the GH2.

4. lillefot

lillefot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that I only shoot raw if that matters.

I just read about the E-PM1, and it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, with its small size, seemingly new sensor, and IBIS would be nice too for low light. I think I'll wait till June 30th and see what happens.

5. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I think waiting to see what the new offerings bring makes a lot of sense.

As an aside, I disagree strongly with Ned's assertion that the E-PL2 is on a completely different level than the GF1 / 2 when it comes to high ISO. In any case, it really is important that you make your own assessment, as well as balancing the size / performance you are seeking.

6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If I didn't need manual video control, I'd have taken a long, hard look at the G3 mated to either the 14/2.5 or the 20/1.7. I've recently pushed the GH2 to ISO3200 with some pleasing results. From what I've heard the G3 should match that. And as diminutive as the GH2 is, the G3 is even smaller:

Panasonic-GH2-vs-Panasonic-.

I really wish I had a good excuse to get on...

7. matai

matai Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 20, 2011
    Will that G3 fit in a coat or shorts pocket with a pancake lens?

8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
  9. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Unlikely. It's very small for what it can do and for it's class, but I would say no.

If that is what you seek, then GF3 or the new mini-Pen look about right.

10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Although the G3 is small, given the pictures of how the viewfinder sticks out, I'm pretty sure it won't fit in any kind of shorts or pants pockets. Doubtful about coats too...

If you have a big purse, you can probably squeeze it in there :wink:

Edit:
    Too lazy to embed the pic, but the DPReview preview has side and top pics of the G3...
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/page3.asp