1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help me feed the GAS: O45, PL25, O17, P20

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by TexChappy, Jul 12, 2012.

1. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    GAS tells me I need a new lens. I've narrowed it down to these 4 for now. When I looked at the data from my old camera I shot mostly from 35 (50mm on FF equivalent) with a lot around 55 (87.5mm eq). This lens would be the first besides the 12-50 kit on this system (OM-D). I would use it as a walk-around and to mostly keep up with capturing 2 active boys (4 and 9).

O17: would make for a compact package, price is right, but the two reviews I've read really don't have nice things to say about it.

P20: same said for compact, really good images but close to the PL25 which is on my definite list and the lock-up issue worries me.

PL25: on my definite list but on the priciest side right now and most apt to get wife aggravated.

O45: still on the high side to spend so soon after the camera but another one on the definite list.

Also, I will get a pancake for compactness at some point.

TIA,
    Tony

2. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    If it helps at all the lockup issue is probably solved in the new firmware 1.2

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    i will certainly go for the 20mm 1.7, if you can stretch the budget, the 25mm 1.4. :biggrin:

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    If you're taking pics of active kids I can't recommend the 20 (despite being an almost mandatory lens for the system) due to slow af.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hey Tony,

First off, my advice is to not let your GAS dictate. It sounds like you want a lens that's faster (and perhaps smaller) than the kit lens. All of the lenses are capable performers, but they each have different strengths.

My default recommendation when it comes to the first lens purchase beyond the kit lens is the P20. It's really a fantastic, fast, sharp, small tool. However, from what I've read, between it's (relatively) slow AF and the banding issue at high ISO, it's perhaps not the best fit with the OM-D.

The O45 is also a nice piece of glass, but you may find that the 45mm focal length is on the longs side for a general-purpose walkabout lens. You may find it tough to frame your shots with this angle of view, particularly when you're shooting indoors (where you'll find yourself backing into walls in an attempt to get a wider view).

That leaves the PL25 and the O17. Obviously the 25 is much faster and much more expensive which makes it tough to compare these two.

I think I would recommend a lens you omitted from your list: the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5. You can pick one up on eBay (generally stripped from a kit) for less than US$175 (including shipping), which qualifies it as the [thread=26310]best deal in Micro Four Thirds[/thread].

Particularly since you mentioned that you're already pressing up against the limits of your household comptroller and that you want to (eventually) pick up a pancake, this seems like a good, inexpensive way to expand your kit.

One exercise that you might do to help decide which angle of view is most useful for your purposes is to just tape down the zoom on your kit lens at each of these focal lengths and see which best fits your needs.

6. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Got the 20mm/1,7 from Amazon. We'll see how it works out. Now I guess I need to get the firmware update.

7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    just be aware of the banding issues, I hope it's resolved with the firmware update. :biggrin:

enjoy you new lens!

8. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Banding is not related to lens really. I've managed to see it with different lens, its more to exposure and lighting. Just do not push it to the limit and it would not fail.

9. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    So should I go with the 45 instead until we know that they've fixed the problems?

10. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Got worried about the P20 so I changed the order to an O45. I know, I'm a chicken :)

11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That's some fast-acting GAS you've got -- less than 45 minutes from post to purchase. :wink:

12. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Just see how fast it is after I eat red beans and rice. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Looks like I'm getting both the Oly 45 and the Panny 20. Cancelled the Panny but Amazon sent it anyway. Oh well, darn. ;0

14. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    haha...I was just going to say get them both if you can swing it....both are fantasic!!