Help me diagnose this lens…

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by robertsalsbury, May 31, 2011.

1. robertsalsbury

robertsalsbury New to Mu-43

May 31, 2011
    I am just getting started with legacy lenses, I bought a 28MM 2.8 FD and an 50MM 1.4 FD…

The 28mm seems to be fine at all focal lengths. The 50MM I am not getting decent results on the long end. If I'm focussed on something nearby, it's good:

P1070400.

But if I'm trying to focus a bit farther away, it's glowy and blurry…and I don't THINK it's just not foccused properly, but maybe that's the problem.

P1070402.

Can more experienced eyes see what is going on here? Do I just need to clean the lens, learn to focus better, or is it a dud?

-Robert

2. What aperture value were you using in the second shot and what were you trying to focus on?

3. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Looks like you should have stopped it down a bit - do you get the same kind of result whatever angle from the sun, with smaller apertures as well as full open ?

4. robertsalsbury

May 31, 2011
    I don't remember the exact aperture; I think it was in the middle of the range - maybe 5.6. I was trying to focus on the swan, it was perhaps 50-60 feet away.

The gear is new (to me) so I was taking lots of shots to practice getting focus quickly; I know that second shot is no masterpiece!

I'm shooting with a GF1.

-Robert

5. robertsalsbury

May 31, 2011
    I have some time right now and it's bright out; I'll run out and take some more precise notes and try to stop the lens down more to see if the glowyness is minimized.

Thanks gang!

-Robert

6. It does look like the second image was shot wide open. Just to eliminate any obvious problems, did you twist the ring on the adapter to the "lock" position to engage the aperture diaphragm on the lens?

7. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    'IF' I understand your problem right, it might have been focusing beyond infinity.

This is from Luckypenguin's helpful thread.
    https://www.mu-43.com/f40/how-guide-using-adapted-lenses-12347/

"
    It is also common for the cheaper adapters to be built deliberately short to ensure infinity focus. This leads to the rather odd phenomenon of the lens focusing "beyond inifinity" at the longest focus distance. This is not a major issue, but something to be aware of.
    "

• Like Like x 1
  8. robertsalsbury

May 31, 2011
    Thanks for all the help.

I went back out, and in bright light tested the lens...It does look like I can get sharp pics with the lens stopped down.

P1070473.

So, I probably had the lens open too wide, and there is a possibility of the "beyond infinity" syndrome at work too.

I also went ahead and bought the viewfinder; it ain't pretty but it does the job.

Thanks again for the quick & useful replies!

-Robert